chaetopelma olivaceum max size question... confused

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone!

I searched high and low and all i get is mixed answers. Tom Moran doesn't even provide info on the max growth size of this T.

I hate considering care sheets but those say a lot of contradictory statements about this T that is false compared to other reliable sources like this board.. so I don't trust their info when they say "fast growth" and 5-6 inch DLS..
My persona experience so far having these for like 6 months is that they grow.....SLOW... very slow... like NW slow.

That being said, can anyone confirm how big they get? I heard from this person and that person that it's about 5 inch DLS..

any thoughts? I should have asked this on one of my old posts about this T.

thanks in advance fellas

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
5''? No, they get around 4'' max but some may get 4.5'' but then that would be exaggerating quite a bit. There was a massive import of these species imported and I bought some off some person who exported them. I've bought 3 adult females and 1 male and they're not that large. I'd say they're probably 4'' at largest, but mines are between 3.5''-4''.

Here are my three females for examples and they are not that large.

IMG_1958.JPG IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1970.JPG

rusted180

Arachnosquire
5''? No, they get around 4'' max but some may get 4.5'' but then that would be exaggerating quite a bit. There was a massive import of these species imported and I bought some off some person who exported them. I've bought 3 adult females and 1 male and they're not that large. I'd say they're probably 4'' at largest, but mines are between 3.5''-4''.

Here are my three females for examples and they are not that large.

View attachment 364212 View attachment 364213 View attachment 364214
Nice! Thank u so much for clarifying!
So would a 8x6x6 be okay for it's final enclosure?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Nice! Thank u so much for clarifying!
So would a 8x6x6 be okay for it's final enclosure?
A little small, but everyone has there own set of rules or preferences for enclosures. I use the 7 quart sterilite containers for mines and it works just fine.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my experience so far, they are rather slow growers, especially for an old world. I have a group of five from the same sac that I got in January 2019 as tiny slings. I did have one male mature recently at less than 3" DLS. The other four are still around 2" DLS.

cold blood

Staff member
ok, thats twice now....

How fast a t grows depends on species, NOT NW vs. OW.

Many of the absolutely fastest growers on the planet are NW, and there are plenty of super slow growing OWs out there.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok, thats twice now....

How fast a t grows depends on species, NOT NW vs. OW.

Many of the absolutely fastest growers on the planet are NW, and there are plenty of super slow growing OWs out there.
Sure there are exceptions, but in my opinion it is pretty safe to generalize in this case. Most of the commonly kept OW genera are fast growing, where as most of the NW commonly kept genera are slowER growing (but not necessarily slow)...with the obvious exception being Psalmopoeus and maybe Neoholothele. But yes, my statement "......for an OW" could certainly be misleading, thanks for pointing that out.