Chaerilus celebensis sexing

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone here knows how to determine the sex of chaerilus sps?
IMO they are parthenogenic because I have not seen them mate. So far I don't have any proof that they do mate or not. I have separated one specimen to determine the possibility of them being parthenogenic but it will take time at least a year or so. hope you guys can shed some answers many thanks!

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the males of Chaerilus spp are usually having differently shaped chelae than the females. Also my two males of C. variegatus and "C. celebensis" had 5 pectinal teeth, whereas all my females of C. variegatus, "C. celebensis" and C. rectimanus had 4 teeth.

I´ve never seen them mate directly either but I doubt members of this genus are reproducing parthenogenetically. just because you´ve never observed them mating and didn´t find any spermatophore doesn´t necessarily mean they didn´t do it. You got yours as adult wc, right? Maybe they are having the ability to store sperm.

The only way to be sure about it would be to raise all the offspring of one female, look for the sex ratio and if the whole offspring is female, keep all specimens seperated and see if they reproduce. If you are just seperating one wc female and she gives birth twice you can only be sure she´s able to store sperm.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What I did is I separated 10 offspring and enclosed them individually I will monitor them to see what will happen.(hehehe! the process will take a long time!) hopefully I can get some infos with this. Thanks for the info with the numbers of their teeth I will have it checked asap.