Chaco Tips?

nomadofthehills

Arachnopeon
My friend who's big into T's picked me up a 1/2 Grammostola aureostriata sling at the hamburg show this weekend. He comes back on Monday, so I'm very excited!

Any tips? Most of my googling has revealed little specific care information, even less for small slings.

Thanks

carrieh

Arachnopeon
I know full grown they like it dry, and a water dish is all the humidty that they need. Room tempature is fine. I just got one of those last weekend, it is about an inch. The guy I got it from said in about 2-3 more molts and I can move it up to a small or medium kritter keeper. Right now I feed it a pinhead cricket or small cricket(with a crushed head) once a week. If it doesnt finish it in 24 hours I remove what is left. Once a week a couple drops of water on the substrait for it to drink, and all is good. It ate the day I got it and then again this weekend. Seems to be doing good. Good luck with yours.
Carrie

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
They are very hardy and at that size my slings tended to burrow. Slow growers but fast for a grammostola, mine went from 1/2 inch to about 2 inch in a year.

Care for them as most slings. Though just in case this is your first sling; give them an inch of substrate (I use peat moss). I tend to feed slings one prey twice a week. Place a couple drops of water along side of the container once a week. Prey items about the same size or smaller than the boddy of the sling. Or you could use larger items just pre-kill them.

PINK1081

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your first!!....your condition will only get worse with time.

With any sling, add the few drops of water when needed. If your vial has small holes and dose not dry out, don't add any more untill needed.

Jim

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You're sure to love your new T. I have a friend who has a 1.25 inch G. aureo s'ling, and it's the only spider I can truly call cute, after it pounces on little crickets it "dances" around the cage with it as if to say, "Look what I got!"

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You're sure to love your new T. I have a friend who has a 1.25 inch G. aureo s'ling, and it's the only spider I can truly call cute, after it pounces on little crickets it "dances" around the cage with it as if to say, "Look what I got!"
I can believe that! :D I have 2 that are about 1 inch right now, and they have the most personality out of my 9 slings! They love rearranging things in their enclosures and are quite the little hams in more ways than one at feeding time! Congrats! :)

nomadofthehills

Arachnopeon
Awesome thanks guys.

My friend who's hooking me up has a Singapore blue and a blondi in his dorm room, and got 30 slings at the show himself. He got me hooked really quickly!

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm going to agree that these guys are little show-men. by far the most active species i own!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All the previous comments on G. aureostriata have rung true. They are showmen and I can't believe the sheer amount of substrate these tiny tarantulas can move in an afternoon.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, they are little bulldozers. Mine has little hills and valleys all over the inside of its KK.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really like the Chacos. The slings like to burrow. They eat like pigs and grow pretty fast.

I've one that just molted to 2.5" and is very calm and handleable.

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very good choice with the G. Aureostriata, very low maintenance in my experience even as slings, and as was already pointed out, they have quite an appetite. I got mine as a 3/4" in sling and she's almost 3" now. only about 1 year 6 mos later.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love this spider, but you need to keep it moist as a sling to prevent it from drying out. Just at 1 or 2 drops every other day. When they get out of the sling stage they like it dry. I cant keep water dishes turned upright with mine. Once I put water in its dish it immediatly goes to it and turns it over. These things get pretty large and they are gentle giants. Very good eaters and fast growers. Expects a large spider, you ill love it though.

nomadofthehills

Arachnopeon
Thanks again everyone. Here he is:

There was a small cricket with a crushed head in there, but I took it out. Its on cocofiber, and I gave it two drops of water today. Should I add more airholes? It has 4 pinpricks on the sides. When should I try feeding it? SHould I try a small cricket with a crushed head, or an adult cricket leg? Should I wiggle it in front of it, or leave it alone and hope it finds it? He is staying on the sides of the container, does that mean its too moist? Should I give it a tiny hiding spot?

Sorry for all the questions lol.