Chaco rampage..:)

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi..:)

My Chaco has gone from gentle giant ( about 6 inches) to pouty giant.

She had also started to re-dig the whole tank and what's in there.

She has also taken some web from the ground/substrate and rolled it up to a ball and she's gone very, very active beside this.

It's not pre-molt because her eating is on top. This behavior started in line with when I put new tanks beside her tank with other T's.
Can she have "felt" the new guests beside her?

( Dave , any suggestions? )

Kenny

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
It well could be due to the new ones that are around her. Ts a very vibration sensitive... That is likely the way the "see" their world, all that hair/setea are major motion detectors

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In short, they're Daredevils.
But anyway, I'd think it would be kind of hard to 'hear' anything through two walls of glass or plastic? Maybe not, of course..but maybe they can see(with their eyes) shapes of what's in the other enclosures, and can't get there ?
My big pig Parahybana sometomes seems interested in the side of her tank to where the Avic enclosure stands, very close by. And my avic hasn't moved in...well, I'd say it's hard to hear her move anyways.
Then again, you hear peoples stories about drummin' T's in defferent enclosures..hmm, this calls for an experiment, I should say.

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm, it could be caused by the other T's.
How large and active are the T's in the other enclosures? Maybe your Chaco can faintly see movement from the others if they are large and active. Try placing a piece of paper or cardboard in between them and she if her behavior changes.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My chaco has been a wierdo lately too... she is jumpy and nervous unlike her usual coma-like self. I think she has been watching the avics too much as well because she spends all her time on the side of her tank now too.

I cant see anything wrong with the substrate... it was fine for her for 6 months. Oh well :) Spiders always have a new surprise for us to see.