chaco goldenknee not feeding

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
I purchased a Grommostola pulchripes about three months ago and she has not moved or eaten in my care.

When I got her:
She was free range feed with about a dozen crickets running around in a 20 gallon tank. She is about 6 inches. The terrarium was dirty and smelled like smoke so I knew it had to be cleaned anyway. Her space was eco soil with about 4-5 inches of spergram moss, a bark hide, a bunch of cork bark, a big log and a water dish. The top was a screen mesh lid. There seemed to be no method to control humidity.

How she is keep now:
She is in a 10 gallon tank with plenty of soil/peat mixture, a water dish always full, a cork hide and a temp/humidity gauge. The humidity is keep at 60% and the temp is at 73'F. She has barricaded herself under the cork hide and webbed herself in. She has been in there for the three months that I have owned her and will not take food (roaches or crickets). I can see her when I pull the tank out and she will move around inside the hide. Her abdomen looks small compared to a feeding female of her size but is much larger than my male T's

My opinion is that she was over feed by previous owner (common w/ the Grommostola) and she doesn't feel the need to move. My plan is to offer food once a month if she does not come out. If she comes out I would offer her food right away. She knows what she wants and if she was hungry she would look for food... right?

Anyway, I just wanted some more opinions as what I should do or know if what I am doing is right for her.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
yes I did forget to include that info didn't i. I was told she molted in September by the owner but she was not in my possession than so it is not for sure. Her colors looked good so I figured it to be accurate. I don't think that the previous owner would know if she was eating or not as he just keep adding the crickets and they would get lost in the moss.

Salt

Arachnopeon
Sounds to me like she's fasting, probably due to confusion as to the time of year. Try to make sure she is in darkness at night, and light during the day. Also keep her humidity levels a lot lower- should help. Give it a week or so.

P.S. Don't over-feed her. If she's not eating, offer only 3 crickets every 2 weeks until she starts eating them, then go to 2 a week and work up from there.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
i'll let the humidity drop but I think she in there for the long haul...all else is as you suggested.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Grammostola species are notorious for their long fasting periods. I think she should be okay.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
Grammostola species are notorious for their long fasting periods. I think she should be okay.
this is what i believe to based on my online research as well. Thank you. Any and other opinions are wanted. Does anybody have first hand experience with this?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My chaco, literally, sealed herself into her enclosure last June. I just peaked on her, ticked her off because she was all snuggled in the corner, and put the dirt back up to bury her back in. When she was a sling she was so active, but now that she is older.....I never, ever see her.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Hi

Wel my G. pulchripes is always out and about. constantly reconstructing her tararium. but as soon an she enters premolt she closes up her burrow and i just have to wait until she comes out. I suppose thats just what they do.:?

Salt

Arachnopeon
Hi

Wel my G. pulchripes is always out and about. constantly reconstructing her tararium. but as soon an she enters premolt she closes up her burrow and i just have to wait until she comes out. I suppose thats just what they do.:?
Yeah, pre-moult starving is normal, but only lasts a few days. This has been going for three months, apprently, and is much more likely to be related to disorientation.

When spiders are kept in captivity, they lose their bearing on the time of year. In the wild, they have half a year of an abundance of food, and then half a year of a shortage. They often starve themselves in captivity because they think it's the shortage.

Dropping the humidity should help, creating an artificial dry season. You should also make sure they can keep track of night and day.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Yeah, pre-moult starving is normal, but only lasts a few days. This has been going for three months, apprently, and is much more likely to be related to disorientation.

When spiders are kept in captivity, they lose their bearing on the time of year. In the wild, they have half a year of an abundance of food, and then half a year of a shortage. They often starve themselves in captivity because they think it's the shortage.

Dropping the humidity should help, creating an artificial dry season. You should also make sure they can keep track of night and day.
That is also true lol:8o

@ the op

Where have you been keaping the T?
In your closet, on a shelf in you room, hass your room got a nice big window to allow sun to enter through (dont let the sun shine on you t enclosure) and do you have any means of temp control in your room. eg. aircon heaters etc.

That might confirm salts theory.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
She is in the same room with the rest of my T's. About 6 adults, and she is the only one. There is a window and plenty of ambient light during the day. How low should l let the humidity drop to?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

My chaco, literally, sealed herself into her enclosure last June. I just peaked on her, ticked her off because she was all snuggled in the corner, and put the dirt back up to bury her back in. When she was a sling she was so active, but now that she is older.....I never, ever see her.
I think we have the same problem... has she done this before?

Last edited:

Salt

Arachnopeon
Grammostola spp. don't need high humidity anyway, so instead of spraying once or twice a day, spray every three days only once. I'd say take the humidity down to about 30-40%. Keep this up for a few weeks until she starts eating again. Good luck!