Chaco Golden Knee

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am about to purchasr a Grammostola
aureostriata.,But berfore I do doanybody know of any secrets I should know. 1" sling.
Thanks jason

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No secrets really. If you have kept a sling this one should be easy. Mist along one side of the container ever few days, they dont like it wet but I do keep slings a bit moist. Once she gets bigger they will like it dry with a big water dish.They are great eaters even as slings. Grow at a decent rate. And when they are adults I think they are quite attractive. I have had one really defensive one in the past but all the others were total sweethearts. Congrats on the new sling!

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool T

Great choice. I love my Chaco; active little bulldozer, and yes, eats like a hog. Mine jumps on anything that comes into the tank, not defensively, just always ready to grab some lunch. Never had a threat display, one half-hearted hair kick last year during a rehousing, my fault. I leave some loose sphagnum in the enclosure as mine likes to use this to completely seal up her hide when it's molt time. Hates wet substrate, I keep it dry + waterdish.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am about to purchasr a Grammostola
aureostriata.,But berfore I do doanybody know of any secrets I should know. 1" sling.
Thanks jason

These aren't secrests, but feed it pinhead or 1 week old crickets or roach nymphs, whichever you have, about 2x a week. Give them water by misting the side of the enclosure, and since it's summer I'd do it more frequent then you would have in the other seasons, so like 3x a week.

Oh and give it some room to dig, when they are slings, they love to dig! You'll be able to see it regardless though. Have fun and good luck!

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I bought a Grammostola aureostriata 3/4 inch sling in Feb of this year. It has moulted three times in my care. It is now almost 1.5 inches and showing adult colouration. At first I fed it meal worm chunks as it had problems killing its own prey. I also added a drop or two of water down the side of its enclosure every few days for some water.

Now it takes medium crickets with glee, and LOVES Darkling beatles. I have a water bottle cap as a water dish in its mini KK. Even at 1.5 inches as soon as a sun sets its one of my most visable T's.

It doubled in size in three months !!! I think you'll enjoy your new T !

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, not really, they aren't hard to keep. Congrats on a wonderful choice, chacos are really wonderful T's, they are big, pretty and docile. I have two and just love them.
I keep mine exactly how Talkenlate says, and they thrive. Just remember, this is a Grammostola species. When they are little they do grow, but the bigger they get, the slower it goes.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hmmm, i never even see mine, it's burrowed. hasn't come out in 6 weeks. doesn't eat very much. maybe it's in a premolt or something.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have a 1/2" sling and that think is heck on little crix. i been feeding it like 2 of the <1/16" crix a week and it pounces right away. also have B. emilia a little bigger and its no where near as fast to catch lunch

johnniecoltrane

Arachnopeon
I also have a Chaco sling, about .5". He/She eats like CRAZY and has molted once in the two months that I've had her. I really dig her, and can't wait until she's big enough to move into an aquarium. She also seems much more active than the handful of other T's I also have in the apartment.

- Amber

mrsd

Arachnopeon
I am getting two from my daughter for mothers day. And this thread has helped me alot. Can't wait

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i also have a little G. aureostriata sling - barely 0.5" if quite that. i got him as a freebie with my order from Ryan (talkenlate). Anyway, as tiny as this little sling is, he has no problem catching crickets nearly his size. He's a great little eater. i was already grateful and happy to find this little surprise in with my order. Since i got him i have started reading up on the G. aureostriata and i'm really happy to have him. This has been a great post and i am really looking forward to watching this little sling grow!! It sounds like G. aureostriata are an all around great T! julie

Malevolus

Arachnopeon
I've only had my little chaco sling for 4 days now and it's already one of my favorites. It's only .5", but it's bulldozed it's tank and half buried the fake leaf I put in there. fed it for the second time this morning and it literally pounced the cricket the second it hit the substrate. Now I just need a name for the little hog

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had 2 Chacos for over 2 years now. I raised them up from 3/4" slings (they came from Swifty) and now they're around 3.5". Great T's, but someone needs to explain to mine that they're supposed to be calm- I can't go into their enclosures without having either one raising arms and posturing!

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a G. aureo sling approx .5" that is an amazing little excavator. He cant half move that substrate around. He pounces on his pinhead crickets with glee. I cant wait for him to moult and grow a bit. His abdomen looks about fit to pop so I dont think I will have much longer to wait.

He is a very active little guy who doesnt stay in his burrow for long. I only have 6 T's but this little guy is my favourite. I can see me getting more.

Elaine