Chaco Golden Knee

CrotchGremlin

Arachnopeon
Would a 5 Gallon tank be to Small for a Chaco Golden knee
(Grammostola aureostriata)
Iv heard that the Chaco Golden knee Is a very docile & make very Good pet tarantulas, & are they bad for kicking hairs?

Last edited:

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think 5 gallon is not enough for adult female, because it can reach to 8 inches leg span, but probably male can do so because of it's much smaller size.

chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata) is a great starter T's, very docile tarantula.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It depends on the size of the tarantula. A full grown adult might need more space, but it would be way too big for a sling or a juvie. Figure 2x the tarantulas length for the width of the tank, 3x its length for the length of the tank, and no more than 2x its length for the distance between the substrate and the top of the tank.

Chacos (g. aureostriata) are very docile t's in general and are a good beginner species. Mine has never kicked hairs.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It depends on the size of the tarantula. A full grown adult might need more space, but it would be way too big for a sling or a juvie. Figure 2x the tarantulas length for the width of the tank, 3x its length for the length of the tank, and no more than 2x its length for the distance between the substrate and the top of the tank.

Chacos (g. aureostriata) are very docile t's in general and are a good beginner species. Mine has never kicked hairs.
You said it Erik! They are great and an awesome pick for new hobbyists. :D

gagamboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my chaco sling, about 2cm in legs pan, walks around with its abdomen raised... i hope it doesn't grow up to be a nasty hair-kicker... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've read that they're burrowers. Do they spend most of the time in their burrows, or do they move around? I'm thinking about getting one as my first tarantula, but I'd really rather not have a pet hole.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've read that they're burrowers.
No they're not, though of course the odd individual might be. Slings will usually at least dig a shallow pit and sit in it, and they will always enjoy digging and moving dirt around for whatever mysterious reasons they have. A happy chaco is a little bulldozer. :)

As far as I know, adults are about the same, though mine's still a juvie.

adbdasT

Arachnopeon
My 2' in. juvie Choco dug a 'cricket death pit.' So cool to watch. Doesn't do much diggin anymore now that he's done with the pit. Can't wait till he's big. Great T!!!!

praetorian2150

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a 5 gallon would do fine up until about 5-6 inches then u gotta move it into a standard 10 gallon that should be enough, thats my plan

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:wall: :wall: :wall: This thread is over a year old and the OP doesn't belong to this board anymore.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think people go through the archives and don't pay attention to the dates.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think you understand...the OP, CrotchGremlin, is no longer a member on these boards. It's highly unlikely that they got your comment. Even if they did, this thread is old, and their problem is already solved by now.

praetorian2150

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wat about to others that might have the same problem. I look for specific threat titles and hope that all the information i need is inside that thread. Its like a file system, im all for the 100% complete thread answering plus an answer or 2 to a few follow up questions. I get ur point though

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's good that you used the search function, but you don't need to respond to a thread in order to learn from it. Especially if it's just a comment like "lol ur funny." Not saying this is the case in this thread, just an example.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The problem is that knuckleheads keep bumping these old threads up to the top by commenting on them.

D'oh! I did it again!