Chaco golden knee?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all! I was wondering if one of you arachnid experts could answer this question for me. I was at repticon today, looking around for a Chaco golden knee tarantula (Grammostola pulchripes) and I asked a asked a shop owner about them. He handed one to me, and told me that the people still call them Chaco golden knees because they were from Argentina and Paraguay, but the name isn't right because the same species originates from other parts of the world. He also said that the one I was holding was fully grown, even though she was only 5'' or so. I told him that I thought they were supposed to be around 8" when fully grown, and he said that only some get that large, but none of his are that big. My question is this; is it possible that he is mistaken, and the arachnid he has looks a lot like a Chaco golden knee, but is in fact something else? It didn't look like a pink zebra beauty to me, but the size was pretty close...

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What other parts of the world is he speaking of? I have a 5" G. pulchripes right now and my girlfriends is 6.5" so that one couldn't be fully grown unless he had a mature male. The only other species you could really confuse maybe is A. seemani or E. campestratus.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He didn't really say... I didn't buy it from him at the show, but I may go to a shop I purchased my redknee baby from and check their's out. Do the females get larger than the males?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He didn't really say... I didn't buy it from him at the show, but I may go to a shop I purchased my redknee baby from and check their's out. Do the females get larger than the males?
Yes, males will be smaller because they reach maturity faster.