Chaco Golden Knee sling putting bum in air

Gavvvo

Arachnopeon
I have a chaco golden knee sling who lifts its butt in the air unprovoked, I’ll just walk in to it doing it. Why might this be? It just sits there with it raised, and if messed with it’ll put it down and walk off.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Is it's face on the ground? It could be trying to drink... I don't have that species, but besides a defense posture I've only seen that when drinking.

Gavvvo

Arachnopeon
Is it's face on the ground? It could be trying to drink... I don't have that species, but besides a defense posture I've only seen that when drinking.
It’s a 1/2 inch sling, very small thing. It’s mouth is so close to the ground that it always looks close.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It’s a 1/2 inch sling, very small thing. It’s mouth is so close to the ground that it always looks close.
Does it have a moist corner or something? You could try a couple drops of water in front of it and see if it's interested in that.. My B. boehmei has been burried for about 5 weeks now, and whenever I peel the tape back to make sure it's alive, it's already sitting like that and kicking hairs at me.

Gavvvo

Arachnopeon
I have a moist corner, and then I spray that half a little more keeping the other half a bit more dry.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have a moist corner, and then I spray that half a little more keeping the other half a bit more dry.
Well, my quite limited experience points to it's just being weird, but I'm only just starting raising slings myself, so hopefully you'll get some more input, but I wouldn't worry...

EDIT: Also, they can tell we are coming from farther away than we think... Mine are probably out a lot more than I think because I'm a bumbling human, as soon as I start walking over there, most probably hide. My H. carolinensis even watches me at my desk, if I stand up, she's cool, if I twist my head and see her sitting on her burrow, gone :lol:

Last edited:

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Sounds like a defensive posture. Many new world T's will walk around with their abdomens raised, or raise them if they perceive a threat. It's a warning display that can often come before hairkicking, and it makes the T look larger. My younger Grammostola pulchra will walk around with her abdomen raised anytime she leaves her burrow, as do many of the younger Aphonopelma and Grammostola species I've kept. It's nothing to be concerned about, just leave it be.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
No need to "spray" anything. Keep a. Water bowl and a moist corner, make sure some moisture gets the bottom layer of substrate.

Gavvvo

Arachnopeon
No need to "spray" anything. Keep a. Water bowl and a moist corner, make sure some moisture gets the bottom layer of substrate.
I read they don’t need water bowls and that they get it through their feet that small

Gavvvo

Arachnopeon
Did you get that from a care sheet?
I always provide a water dish even for the smallest sling. Even if it's just a small Lego filled with water.
View attachment 433731
View attachment 433732
yes, the care sheet swift inverts sent. I have an arrowhead in there that holds water droplets on top of it, i’m sure that’s enough. especially if they also get it through their feet. I like that lego idea though, pretty smart. I have a water bottle lid with paper towel in it for my nicaraguan curly hair.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
yes, the care sheet swift inverts sent. I have an arrowhead in there that holds water droplets on top of it, i’m sure that’s enough. especially if they also get it through their feet. I like that lego idea though, pretty smart. I have a water bottle lid with paper towel in it for my nicaraguan curly hair.
People also thought that tarantulas could spin silk from their feet. They can't.
Mr. Swift has been in the biz a long time and is a good guy. But you're probably going to get the best and most up to date care advice here on AB.
Get rid of the paper towel in the water bottle lid. All it's going to do is become a breeding ground for bacteria. Don't use a paper towel or sponge or anything else. Just the water bottle cap.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's basically a defensive posture, most commonly seen with T. ockerti but some other NW species (some Grammos/Pamphs) do it too, the point of it AFAIK is to display the mirror patch (their visible patch of urticating setae) as a visual deterrent.

I read they don’t need water bowls and that they get it through their feet that small
Nope, they get most of their hydration through their food so you don't really need to provide water dishes until they hit 2" IME, there's no need to spray (it does little more than annoy the tarantula and kick up any previously discarded urticating setae which is not fun if you keep Lasiodora/Theraphosa), just pipette a small amount of water directly into the substrate and repeat when it dries out, I also keep a damp clump of moss in my sling enclosures to double as a hide with a starter burrow underneath.

sling enclosure1.png

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Providing a water bowl is important - but many don’t drink from a dish but droplets on cage furniture.

Feeding them is most important

Gavvvo

Arachnopeon
People also thought that tarantulas could spin silk from their feet. They can't.
Mr. Swift has been in the biz a long time and is a good guy. But you're probably going to get the best and most up to date care advice here on AB.
Get rid of the paper towel in the water bottle lid. All it's going to do is become a breeding ground for bacteria. Don't use a paper towel or sponge or anything else. Just the water bottle cap.
Since i’ve put water bottle caps in, i’ve caught them all drinking. appreciate the advice.