Chaco-formosa - Argentina

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, tremendas fotos Pato! Gracias por compartirlas con nosotros :)

My poor oldie Ford!

Haha no te creas, ahi tienes una valiosa reliquia! :p

Quizas lo bueno es que con el tiempo los carros bien antiguos van cobrando mayor valor para coleccionistas de carros, asi que si algun dia decides venderselo a uno seguro que te dan un buen precio por el! :}

whazzup101

Arachnopeon
woww, this was really great.
this makes me want to get another T so bad hahaha and do some traveling to somewhere in South America myself.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeahh, I love field trips. Thank's pinkzebra and pinktoe I'm glad you like the photos. My car isn't worth much but yes it's in great shape! It's old but it makes me able to do what I love the most, look for tarantulas in the wild. Here new cars are very expensive and to make a trip like these I'll probably need like a Land Rover or a big expensive truck! My '87 is still running and hopefully will last for a couple more trips :D !

Saludos!

Pato.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some more pics:

Dawn in Chaco.

Road in Formosa to Bañado La Estrella.

Getting to Bañado La Estrella.

Bañado La Estrella, Formosa.

Not a good place to broke down the car or run out of gas!! :D

Habitat of A. chacoana in Chaco. More habitat pics coming...

Chopped Quebracho Colorado.

Big old tree in the forest.

I guess there used to be water there...it's been a few years now since there is a dry cicle going on...causing a lot of damage in the flora and fauna.

E. campestratus adult female in grassland. There seem to be two slightly different color forms. This one I think it's the darker form.

This one seems to be de light form...

Hope you like those.

Pato.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Прикольные вы парниши, однако (с)
So. Pato, is that You???
Not sure... if that would be You, we would see a lot of fisehry pictures ;)

BTW. Tarantulas are nice indeed too! ;) thanks for sharing!
i believe I will send sone russian guy this year to You and Juan Andres for some fishing (it's not joke, btw) ;)

Post other pics please. I would like to see some reptiles too!!!
Una lagardo para me? ;)

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, that's me :D I regret we didn't fish! :eek: But there wasn't much time either. We also had to go back from there to find a place to camp. A place with solid ground I mean ;) We stayed near there where it was more forest like. This place was really amazing.
So you have friends coming here? that's cool! But you should come to visit Argentina some time! ;)
Not much reptiles pics unfortunately :eek:

Pato.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure have to visit Argentina to see You and maybe Claudio also, but definately my old good fellow Juan Andres ;)
And I hope fotr it one day... but definately not a couple of the followings.... ;(

amplexus

Arachnopeon
Wow!

Fantastic pictures and it looks like you had a very successfull trip !

I´ve been wanting to go to Chaco for quite some time now. Now I´m dying to go. Looks like a trip is def on the cards next summer.

Thanks for sharing those pics

Kev

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks. If you go there in summer , you better like heat! :D Although you kinda forget about it with such great places...
Wait, are you talking about northern hemisphere summer? :rolleyes:

amplexus

Arachnopeon
hahahaha

No. I´m living in Argentina too now. I mean Argie summer. I´m not that bothered about the heat. Spending a long time in Manaus sure got me used to heat.

Kev

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ha! I like heat too. So many places to go look for tarantulas and cool wildlife! There's never enough time.....

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some more pics, these ones taken by my partner Emmanuel.

I could hardly see the road, so many bugs! :)

Blaberus giving a warm welcome:

Typical Humid Chaco habitat

Social spiders :)

The road is beautiful

Closer to Dry Chaco Region

Bañado La Estrella

More Habitat shots

Pato.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Buenos Patricio!

Nice haitats shots but there're their inhabitants?
What blaberus species it is (B. craniifer)?

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! I would love to visit this tarantula paradise!
Thank you Pato for sharing, Awesome pictures!

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's awsome man! I would kill to go too a place like that. were there hundreds of those E. campestratus?

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank's all! Both field trips to Chaco Region were really cool. I can't wait to go back again I'm in love with Chaco hehe

The Blaberus roaches I'm not sure which sp. they are, but I brought back home a few from the first trip two years ago and they are breeding since. Although they don't breed as much as my Blaptica dubia colonies. Lately I changed the Blaberus setup and they seem to be doing better. They are more moisture dependent, so I put peat moss and big bark chips so they can hide. They also seem to need more vegies than other roaches.

About E. campestratus, well, it's not like they are everywhere. You have to be lucky to find a colony. Maybe you look and look and you can't find any and they are like only 2 km away, but you just missed it. Both colonies were associated with human activity, a country school, camping place. I guess they benefit (as long as people don't disturb them much) because they have more access to water and food (the lights attracts a lot of bugs) We found two colonies in different places. One was very well populated and breeding very well, as some females were with sacs. Unfortunately, when I made the second trip, a year later, the numbers of spiders was much less. I don't know the causes of this, but the good news is that they are still breeding, as we found empty eggsacs outside burrows. The other colony, was a little more populated. I guess kids in school don't bother them too much hehe.

Will post more pics later!

best regards,

Pato.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
More pics

E. campestratus also giving a warm welcome in our first night.

The red circle points an empty ootecae:

A. chacoana

Some more cool bugs

termites

molt

cactus

mushroom

Best regards,
Pato