CGK (Grammastola Pulchripes) Slowing down after molt.

TinySquidMan

Arachnopeon
My CGK just molted a couple days ago and has been slowing down a little. She is squeezed up against the glass of her cage and I'm worried about her. She has been in pre-molt for about 2 months and hasn't been eating. I think this could be a food problem, although her abdomen is very large.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A picture of her would be very useful. Also how large is this specimen? A couple days isn't really a lot of time for tarantulas to recover from a molt, but then again I can't see the specimen so it's hard to understand the situation visually.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
She looks fine, so there is no reason to stress her. Check that she has access to water and leave it for a week or two before giving any prey (check that her fangs are fully hardened).

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Ok, thank you. I am probably just worrying because this is my first tarantula.
Post a picture of your enclosure, you we can give you some hints to care her better. It is vermiculite in that substrate?

TinySquidMan

Arachnopeon
I don't know what substrate I used but I am planning on getting a bigger enclosure for her. Do you have any recommendations?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You have to know what kind of substrate you used. Did somebody sell you as a package? T+enclosure+substrate.

Putting a unknown substrate can be harmfull to your T, it could contain pesticides, fertilizers or other organic harmfull compounds. If that is vermiculite, then is keeping too much moisture on the substrate, so your T could be unconfortable.

Post a picture of your enclosure, so we can help you better.

TinySquidMan

Arachnopeon
IMG_3325.jpeg

I think it was a type of Zoo Med soil but I'm not sure. The package for the soil said it was for reptiles and insects/spiders.

And no It wasn't a package, I've had her since she was a half an inch wide sling.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The little white "stones" are soft? If you pinch them they crush?

The enclosure has plenty of space for her, so there is no need for a bigger one. You can get a bigger enclosure, it wont hurt her.

I would change that substrate and use a staggered setup. With a high and a low zone. You can make a hide in one corner and add more substrate on top to create a higher spot. This place will be warmer that the low zone, so the T will have different spots to choose.
Regarding to the substrate, I'd use topsoil or a mix of clay and topsoil, since is cheap and suits perfectly your specie, also it mimic the substrate of her natural habitat. For decoration I'd use some dry grass and some leafs.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Stones can be dangerous, a small fall on top of one and could cause a serious damage. I'd remove them as soon as possible.

If they are not vermiculites, you can keep that substrate, but I would increase the height of the substrate to reduce any risk of falling etc.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Go to your garden center and buy topsoil, muuuuch cheaper and a better option than the reptile stuff. Ask for a non fertilized and pesticide free topsoil. You can get like 40L for 2 bucks.