Ceratogyrus Marshalli MM Feeding Behaviour

Belinir

Arachnopeon
Hey,

my question is about my C. Marshalli's (Or any MM's) feeding behaviour. He matured 2 months ago and stopped taking food on 12.09.2016(D.M.Y). Do mature males occasionally take food again, or are they done once they stopped?

louise f

Arachnoangel
Many of the MM`s dont eat food once they stopped, they only have one thing on their mind females. But they can be hungry and want some food at some point again. Just have a filled water dish and offer food every second week or so. If it dont take the food then just take it out again the day after.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
Thanks, it's a bit sad, since he always has been a very good eater. I just don't want to see him wither away so quickly. I'll just keep trying.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Thanks, it's a bit sad, since he always has been a very good eater. I just don't want to see him wither away so quickly. I'll just keep trying.
Dont be beating yourself up on this, he can turn and start eating suddenly. But dont count on anything to much. as MM they really dont live for that long sorry to say, but that`s just how it is. :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey,

my question is about my C. Marshalli's (Or any MM's) feeding behaviour. He matured 2 months ago and stopped taking food on 12.09.2016(D.M.Y). Do mature males occasionally take food again, or are they done once they stopped?
Every T is different. So far all my NW MMs have eaten after their final molt, though not nearly as frequently. Sometimes once a month, or less at times. I wouldn't stop feeding just because it's a MM.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
Every T is different. So far all my NW MMs have eaten after their final molt, though not nearly as frequently. Sometimes once a month, or less at times. I wouldn't stop feeding just because it's a MM.
Well, I've been trying to get him to eat for a while now, just wanted to check if there's some systematic to their feeding behaviour. Now I can at least hope, that it's just a fasting phase, I would've tried feeding him as usual anyway.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I've been trying to get him to eat for a while now, just wanted to check if there's some systematic to their feeding behaviour. Now I can at least hope, that it's just a fasting phase, I would've tried feeding him as usual anyway.
Yeah he won't eat like he used to. Just keep an eye on his abdomen. When it gets smaller than usual, that's when I feed mine. Often seems to be the only time they will eat. Keep a water dish out too. I've had some that will drink, but won't eat.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
MMs are really hit or miss on eating. My P. murinus didn't eat even a single time once he matured, but my A. minatrix ate every week or two.

Also... Find him a girl :)

cold blood

Staff member
MMs are really hit or miss on eating. My P. murinus didn't eat even a single time once he matured, but my A. minatrix ate every week or two.

Also... Find him a girl :)
I agree with the above. MMs will continue to eat, but not nearly like they did before. For me I offer them food every 2 weeks or so unless I am pairing them, them I feed them the night before....too bad you're in Germany, I could use him.

One thing I've noticed about MMs is that they have higher requirements for water, so make sure you keep water in his dish.

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
My GBB matured about 2 months ago while he was being taken care of by family. They don't know much about tarantulas aside from the care instructions I left them, but they said he was eating as much as ever since maturing. Also apparently spinning an absurd amount of webs to the point he wasn't netting much weight, so he still appears kind of skinny.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My GBB matured back on May of this year and has only eaten twice. Once acouple weeks after his ultimate molt and once after I paired him up with my friends female. Since then anytime I offer food he has no interest and actually acts almost terrified whenever the feeder roach comes near him. Just runs off and hides. And forget about if the roach touches him... He freaks out kicking hair and throwing dramatic threat poses.

My boy is nearing the end though getting very thin and less active. Before I paired him in June he would wonder the enclosure all night and a good part of the day.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
Mine was very defensive before his last molt and threw a lot of threat poses, but now he is just easily scared and hides away as soon as I touch the lid.

Belinir

Arachnopeon
He ate again! :) I changed the diet of some of my smaller Ts to crickets again and he didn't hesitate to take one. Maybe Dubias were a bit too intimidating for him.