Ceratogyrus marshalli mating

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been real busy lately and finally had a chance to mate this species. Its was pretty easy and straight to the point for this pair. The female practically lifted herself up for the male. It happened all less than 5 minutes!!:eek: I saw clearly the insertion.

After the mating the female was rubbing her abdomen with legs III and IV and on the ground while the male just groomed away. Badabing-badaboom!:D

Heres the mating. I really love this species.:clap:

[YOUTUBE]4Fj2yKra6WE[/YOUTUBE]

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it the same female you have been raising? How big is she exactly?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats Steve... Now.. Get ready for a long wait.. LoL! Unless of course the marshalli drops sooner than the darlingi.. :rolleyes:

My darlingi.. She starts webbing then tears it all down.. Something I never noticed her doing before.. But.. No sac as of yet.. Be sure to save me a few of those if you get a sac.. :D

If I actually get a sac before you I will save a few to trade with you.. :D

Best of luck!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats! Although I do NOT envy you, I have more than enough keeping my ONE darlingi sling in place, that thing runs like a.. You know what, whenever I open the lid to feed or something..

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My C. marshalli is quite calm, in fact both are. They do not move when I open the lid to feed. although if I get too close they instantly spring up in defense posture and start stridulating real hard. The male however does not only do the stridulation, but also strikes!

Heres a vid where she stridulates.

[YOUTUBE]3t8YWD7Yiko[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Tommy, I will keep the thread updated as you have done with your thread! I will keep records.

Last edited:

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wanted to get a feel for the growth rate. I have six from the same sac, one is a 3.5" female and the rest are only 1.5" or so. This is my favorite species by far and I would like to know as much about them as possible for my own future breeding projects. Sorry if you don't find my request relevant to the thread.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wanted to get a feel for the growth rate. I have six from the same sac, one is a 3.5" female and the rest are only 1.5" or so. This is my favorite species by far and I would like to know as much about them as possible for my own future breeding projects. Sorry if you don't find my request relevant to the thread.
Well the growth rate for me is alot quicker than most. Most people know this about my methods but I will be glad to post her molt record.

Ceratogyrus marshalli 1"

Bought February 19, 2010

Molted 3-12-10 (now 1.5")
3-15-10 Moved to a larger home
Molted 4-09-10
Molted 5-10-10 Confirmed Female
Molted 6-06-10 Horn started to grow
Molted 7-14-10
MATED 10-3-10 Successful insertion

Basically when the female is a bit larger than the males carapace, its considered ready. also another method people use is 75% of the maximum legspan means breeding readiness.
In my case I chose carapace size due to the circumstance of male maturing unexpectedly. I had slowed the male down but did not expect him to mature at 4".
In this species the male is alot smaller than what the female is capable of growing to in legspan. Females can grow to 6"+

Last edited:

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice job and kudos on the ridiculously tedious record keeping. I just don't have the interest for that. Seven months though WOW!!!!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice job and kudos on the ridiculously tedious record keeping. I just don't have the interest for that. Seven months though WOW!!!!
Yeah they were both the same size when I got them and when the male hit around 3" I slowed his eating by alot. (compared to before) If i had known that males mature around 4" I would have kept him on a diet earlier.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Updating the status. Heres a pic of her. Still waiting...

Last edited:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update!!!

Ok This is the update many have been waiting for. For all those that were asking me Via Pm if we were there yet, I can finally say Almost.

She has been digging a deep hole for the past couple of days. She made it pretty deep. than constructed the nest walls as most terrestrial do. And now heres the pic of her inside her nest. She has already created the mat as well. Just waiting for the big drop and wrapping of the eggsac.

So keeping my fingers crossed for a successful egg sac as she is young. This is as clear as I could get it. Did not want to disturb her. Time line between mating and today is 4 months.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She dropped the load and is currently webbing over. Looks like she is doing it good so far. (She got her figure back{D )

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Great news and great pictures. I hope good things will come out of that sack mate.

I was offered a subadult female for 100$. Do you think they are worth it?