Ceratogyrus darlingi

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
I'm looking to branch out onto my first OW, and was wondering what people thought about this species as a good intro to the non hair kicking tarantulas? I've read that they're relatively easy to take care of, dry substrate, fantastic eaters, etc.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I'm looking to branch out onto my first OW, and was wondering what people thought about this species as a good intro to the non hair kicking tarantulas? I've read that they're relatively easy to take care of, dry substrate, fantastic eaters, etc.
It's a great species to start off with when taking the plunge to OW. They can be defensive but supply a good hide and you shouldn't have any issues, they are a very forgiving species as far as care goes.

user 666

Arachnobaron
As a sling, this is one of the pet holes that you get just so you can watch destroy its enclosure. It is a mad webber and tunneller.

Give it an enclosure half full of well-packed substrate and it will dig a tunnel system, kick up substrate, and then web the excess substrate to extend its tunnels.

I am rather liking mine.

P.S. If you want another suggestion in the mad tunnelling sling category, try an S kovakiri. Mine had already dug a tunnel system within two days of its arrival.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
This species is commonly said to be one of the best first Old World spiders. There are a couple of other species that are good choices as well, such as Augacephalus ezendami and Ceratogyrus marshalli. The care is the same for all three.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just got two of these as 1.5 inch slings in today as part of a trade. They look pretty cool so far and the setup is similar to a lot of other OW burrowers. Good luck.

cold blood

Staff member
This species is commonly said to be one of the best first Old World spiders. There are a couple of other species that are good choices as well, such as Augacephalus ezendami and Ceratogyrus marshalli. The care is the same for all three.
Well said. All great ts....darlingi is most likely to be defensive, ezendami is the least likely...marshalli is in between. My experiences anyway.

darlingi

Marshalli

ezendami

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Bah... buy, instead, a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) I say my man, and give to you a bit of hissing:
the perfect antidote against daily routine. From Uganda/Kenya (Obama) with love :kiss:

genus Ceratogyrus? Uhm, not bad... loyal Goddess servants according to the Book 'Key of Baboons' :-s

louise f

Arachnoangel
I agree with @cold blood C.darlingi is defensive, marshalli is more relaxed, but dont let it fool you. It is still a baboon.
And the ezendami, i dont know anything about them. But @cold blood knows his s... ;) for sure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can stay in the NW if you want a T w/out urticating setae, no need to get on OW just for that.

Ceratogyrus is the best genus.

I. mira are also excellent too. They are more of a pet hole than Ceratogyrus however mira is the only true terrestrial trap-door tarantula. They are quite small, 3" for AFs, and while they aren't nervous, they do zip into the home at the slightest disturbance.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
I got a Ceratogyrus darlingi yesterday. I highly recommend it. Mine started defensive, but calmed down a bit. They are good eaters.

Bryan chumg

Arachnopeon
I have a question on substrate for this species i have one on a sphagnum and cocofiber mix and the burrow start to collapse when it gets dry and it is starting to collapse what should i do?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
their webbing will typically hold stuff together. I mix in a solid amount of soil to help prevent such things.

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're great first OW tarantulas, great appetite and they grow fast! Mine has created a burrow with 4 entrances and pushed dirt everywhere. Prepare to lose water dishes 😅

cold blood

Staff member
I have a question on substrate for this species i have one on a sphagnum and cocofiber mix and the burrow start to collapse when it gets dry and it is starting to collapse what should i do?
Any species can be kept on any of the suitable substrates...there is no one best or one best for a particular species.....sub is the keepers choice.

If you use coco fiber though, its imperative that its packed down tightly....failure to do this will result in exactly what you are describing.

Bryan chumg

Arachnopeon
Any species can be kept on any of the suitable substrates...there is no one best or one best for a particular species.....sub is the keepers choice.

If you use coco fiber though, its imperative that its packed down tightly....failure to do this will result in exactly what you are describing.
I packed it tighyly but when iy started to dry it starts to fluff up

Should i try to rehoise him as soon as possible as the tunnel is crumbling?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I packed it tighyly but when iy started to dry it starts to fluff up

Should i try to rehoise him as soon as possible as the tunnel is crumbling?
For all of my burrowing species, I do a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and reptisoil. Seems to work really good so far.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus is my first dip into OWs. Likely my last, simply because horned baboon's unique appearance appeals to me and I'm not particularly interested in OWs as a whole. Although that ezendami of Viper's looks pretty striking to me, and I probably would not say no to one of them in the future.
I can't really offer any opinion on them as far as keeping them goes, mine are still fairly young. The marshalii is maybe 2 inches, the darlingi a bit beneath that
Currently, I'm not seeing anything of the marshalli, I suspect it is down having a moult, because i usually see it waiting at the mouth of its burrow and it is probably due.
The darlingi is still in a deli container, I see it out quite a lot unless I disturb the container, then it zips down one of the entry holes to its burrow.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Everyone: “Just get a starter T, a pet rock, like a B Hamorii.”

Australians: “Just got my first T today! Decided to play it safe and get an S Crassipes.”

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Ceratogyrus is my first dip into OWs. Likely my last, simply because horned baboon's unique appearance appeals to me and I'm not particularly interested in OWs as a whole. Although that ezendami of Viper's looks pretty striking to me, and I probably would not say no to one of them in the future.
I can't really offer any opinion on them as far as keeping them goes, mine are still fairly young. The marshalii is maybe 2 inches, the darlingi a bit beneath that
Currently, I'm not seeing anything of the marshalli, I suspect it is down having a moult, because i usually see it waiting at the mouth of its burrow and it is probably due.
The darlingi is still in a deli container, I see it out quite a lot unless I disturb the container, then it zips down one of the entry holes to its burrow.
I have both Marshalli and Darlingi. I just rehoused the darlingi so she hasn't really started digging just yet. She is out pretty often. My marshalli has a very established burrow and I haven't seen it in weeks. It could be dead for all I know