Ceratogyrus Darlingi vs Marshalli difference?

JamesGSixx

Arachnopeon
What's the difference aside from the horn? max size? do males get horns if so at what size? which do you prefer?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Females of both species get to about the 5" range, males will typically mature much smaller.

They are both pretty cool IMO, the marshalli MFs have the straight horn whereas the darlingi MFs horn is more hooked shape. As for the males, they will have a smaller much less prominent horn, more of a slight bump/protrusion on the carapace.

Immature male C.marshalli

cold blood

Staff member
Male marshalli don't usually get horns, more of a button...male darlingi do get horns. This is a MM marshalli...
Both have the same care, both grow at a decent pace, both are fantastic eaters, both are fossorial, but unlike many fossorials, both tend to be visible a lot. Both get to about the same size...IME darling can be a little more defensive...

but nether would be considered difficult to care for...both would make a good first OW.
marshalli

darlingi

RedSkyzBlueMind

Arachnopeon
I prefer...... oh who am I kidding, I love 'em both! The horns are just fantastic! And they're pretty easy to care for!

JamesGSixx

Arachnopeon
Male marshalli don't usually get horns, more of a button...male darlingi do get horns. This is a MM marshalli...
Both have the same care, both grow at a decent pace, both are fantastic eaters, both are fossorial, but unlike many fossorials, both tend to be visible a lot. Both get to about the same size...IME darling can be a little more defensive...

but nether would be considered difficult to care for...both would make a good first OW.
marshalli

darlingi
Do they have the same coloration? darlingi's look whiter in shade, but might've just been the flash

Females of both species get to about the 5" range, males will typically mature much smaller.

They are both pretty cool IMO, the marshalli MFs have the straight horn whereas the darlingi MFs horn is more hooked shape. As for the males, they will have a smaller much less prominent horn, more of a slight bump/protrusion on the carapace.

Immature male C.marshalli

Looks stunning! are they really that gold and black?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Do they have the same coloration? darlingi's look whiter in shade, but might've just been the flash
Very similar...different locals have slightly different coloration...but overall, it is pretty similar.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I personally like my darlingis more than my marshalli. The darlingi are darker overall (at least mine are?) and tend to be more visible... my adult female marshalli is a "pet hole" and my female darlingis prefer to web rather than burrow too deeply. I adore my sanderi, too... she is a beautiful tan and likes to be visible!

1536305273920.jpg
1539278668030.jpg
1538686461269.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like the ones with curved horns because it's easier to put a leash on them and take them for a walk at the dog park.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
I'll put it this way, both darlingi and marshalli can be seen somewhat terrestrially when they reach adulthood. They're fossorial, but my C. marshalli is fossorial in the way that the Sarlacc or the Graboids from Tremors are fossorial, they build their shallow tunnels so you can see them pressing up the substrate underground like moles, and getting excited and sticking their legs out when prey is near. If given enough substrate a P. muticus won't do that, it will just open it's deep burrow when it's accepting food. The major difference is darlingi is a bit smaller with a curved horn and has a lighter coloration that appears blue-grey in some lighting. marshalli has a black and tawny gold hue to it.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
The major difference is darlingi is a bit smaller with a curved horn and has a lighter coloration that appears blue-grey in some lighting. marshalli
They are actually about the same size....and both can vary in color depending on where they are from. @KezyGLA is pretty good about the subtle color differrences of each location.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
If given enough substrate a P. muticus won't do that, it will just open it's deep burrow when it's accepting food.
Actually, this species is well known for blocking off all entrances to their burrows for no real reason, a blocked entrance doesn't always mean they arent hungry.