Ceratogyrus brachycephalus

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've only had this little one for a few weeks. It's adjusted pretty well though and has some impressive webbing/construction done. I have a lot of interest in this genus and plan to get several more species very soon.
On that note, this little one already displays major attitude. Poses, strikes, it fears nothing. Can anyone tell me how they do as adults? I'm guessing the typical African T attitude but how bad are they? About the same as Pterinochilus? Worse? The Usambaras I've had at this size before didn't seem to exhibit so much attitude so early. Maybe a trip to Jenny Jones to visit Raymond Moses will straighten things out. ;)

*Does your s'ling or juvie T display threats at you? Does it strike, slap or even bare it's venom dripping fangs? If your little tarantula is out of control, give us a call and you could be a guest on the next Jenny!*

Atrax ;P

Attachments

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Atrax,

I've got a C. bechuanicus and a C. brachycephalus. They look remarkably similar and seeing as I picked up the C. bechuanicus from a notorious "mislabler", they might even be the same species.

Seeing as I don't really bother either of them much, I've not noticed any displays. They tend to retreat to their webbed-up burrows once they feel threatened. They are both quite aggressive in their feeding behavior though.

Botar

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine isnt prone to striking but it sure does hiss. Even when it was a litle 2 incher it would squeal at me and run away.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Can anyone tell me how they do as adults? I'm guessing the typical African T attitude but how bad are they? About the same as Pterinochilus? Worse? The Usambaras I've had at this size before didn't seem to exhibit so much attitude so early. Maybe a trip to Jenny Jones to visit Raymond Moses will straighten things out. ;)

*Does your s'ling or juvie T display threats at you? Does it strike, slap or even bare it's venom dripping fangs? If your little tarantula is out of control, give us a call and you could be a guest on the next Jenny!*

Atrax ;P
I've always heard Cerats were among the most tractable of the Africans. So far, mine is a little lamb :)

Joy

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

Ceratogyrus are generally highly defensive, and quick to bite. they are able to run and at the same time inflict several bites, one after the other, very quickly!

These are loud hissers, and tend to strike, slap, hiss and finally bite if all the other three fail to scare away any unwanted intruders.

take care,

Paul

PS better not to send them to Jenny Jones/Raymond Moses, unless they sign a disclaimer saying you aren't responsible if they get bit by a rebellious tarantula spiderling on her show! I'm fairly sure this one might have a serious attitude problem in their eyes, lol!

PPS despite my girls major attitudes, I must admit they are awfully cute when they stridulate, rubbing their fangs up and down, and make a generally "hostile" display, heheh!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
PPS despite my girls major attitudes, I must admit they are awfully cute when they stridulate, rubbing their fangs up and down, and make a generally "hostile" display, heheh! [/B]
You are definitely right. I get a kick out of that every time I see it.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Ceratogyrus brachycephalus

Originally posted by Joy
I've always heard Cerats were among the most tractable of the Africans. So far, mine is a little lamb :)

Joy
No fair using the Jedi mind trick Joy! I wanted to know their general attitude among hobbyists who do not use "the force". ;P j/k I've said it before and I'll say it again...You have a gift....and major respect from me! :) Keep it up Joy. Maybe if you're going to the ATS you can teach me how the hell you do that??? If not, maybe an on-line Spider Jedi Training course...maybe? LOL!

Yeah, overall, mine seems to prefer slapping/striking and even this crazy attack pattern of advance, strike, strike, slap, retreat, and repeat all over again. It is pretty cute with such a little guy that is so fearless. :)

Atrax

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
nice pics gary and joy! Joy i said this before and i will say it again
"YOU ARE CRAZY" j/k ;P
I might get a 1" marshalli soon! :D

James