Ceramic Heat Emitters for collection

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
My collection is starting to grow, getting upwards of 30+ now, and I’m trying to think of a way to heat them properly in a way that’s more pleasing to the eye. Currently, I made a ‘box’ of foam with some sides (and lid) with foil on it and a UTH on one side. This is working great (keeps temps in the high 80s on one side for my arid species and low 80s for my tropical species and hooked into a Herpstat to drop night temps to low 80s/high 70s during the night) but I’d like to be able to view them (if the scorplings are scavenging, activity levels, etc.) without disturbing them every time I open up the foam box.

My question is, for someone who’s never used a CHE, deep heat projector, etc. would it be possible to put the enclosures on a shelf that’s 3 ft long and have the one CHE/heat bulb heat them all to the appropriate temp.? I’m aware it’s dependent on ambient temp, but for the sake of this question, I’d say that my average temps are 70-73. I’m sure I’d also have to keep my tropical species on the sides farther away so they don’t get to those temps. I’d like to keep the bulk of the enclosures heated to mid to high 80s if possible. Would you recommend a specific heat bulb/source of any kind? I could line the shelf with the foam and foil if that would help retain heat (shelves are the metal ‘grate’ kind).

Thanks!

Arthroworld Indonesia

Arachnopeon
Hi Antinous, congrats on the collection growth 😄 , but if possible, can you take a picture of the shelf itself for better reference? As you've mentioned, its a case by case depending on your current room temp; So the layout of your shelf/rack is also an important factor in determining what Heat source is best in this situation as proper insulation can really bolster in maintaining the ideal temp. Personally I would also advise maintaining a temperature gradient in your enclosures so your arthropods can escape the heat if they deem it "too hot" or uncomfortable, but given your system, this might prove difficult.

As for Heat Bulb/Source recommendations:
1. Heat bulbs: My primary choice for heat (I turn off my lights at night to mimic a proper day-night cycle), and I find that 24 hour heating is unnecessary because the ambient temp in Indonesia is generally already around 78'ish°F to 88°F, it gets the job done and is also good for visibility/display. Arthropods tend to dislike too 'bright' lights, so I would recommend the dimmer and lower wattages ones.
2. Ceramic Heaters: Good substitute for Heat bulbs, as they do great for both nocturnal animals that need heating and general day to day heating as well, the only downside to them is that they are REALLY HOT, and become a fire hazard so just watch out and make sure to avoid keeping flammable things near them. Overall, pretty solid.
3. Heat mats: Steer clear of heat mats, I've heard bad stories about them and they aren't that good from my personal experience. (Risks > Pros)

Conclusion: All in all, this is simply from my experience and research, but this might not apply to your case given your ambient temps is around 70°F to 73°F, so again, my opinion is probably not all that relevant. Hopefully this was of use, and someone from the US can further help answer your inquiry.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Hi Antinous, congrats on the collection growth 😄 , but if possible, can you take a picture of the shelf itself for better reference? As you've mentioned, its a case by case depending on your current room temp; So the layout of your shelf/rack is also an important factor in determining what Heat source is best in this situation as proper insulation can really bolster in maintaining the ideal temp. Personally I would also advise maintaining a temperature gradient in your enclosures so your arthropods can escape the heat if they deem it "too hot" or uncomfortable, but given your system, this might prove difficult.

As for Heat Bulb/Source recommendations:
1. Heat bulbs: My primary choice for heat (I turn off my lights at night to mimic a proper day-night cycle), and I find that 24 hour heating is unnecessary because the ambient temp in Indonesia is generally already around 78'ish°F to 88°F, it gets the job done and is also good for visibility/display. Arthropods tend to dislike too 'bright' lights, so I would recommend the dimmer and lower wattages ones.
2. Ceramic Heaters: Good substitute for Heat bulbs, as they do great for both nocturnal animals that need heating and general day to day heating as well, the only downside to them is that they are REALLY HOT, and become a fire hazard so just watch out and make sure to avoid keeping flammable things near them. Overall, pretty solid.
3. Heat mats: Steer clear of heat mats, I've heard bad stories about them and they aren't that good from my personal experience. (Risks > Pros)

Conclusion: All in all, this is simply from my experience and research, but this might not apply to your case given your ambient temps is around 70°F to 73°F, so again, my opinion is probably not all that relevant. Hopefully this was of use, and someone from the US can further help answer your inquiry.

Hey there, I appreciate the reply. Currently, I just use a heat mat (UTH) on the side of one of the foam pieces to produce heat to adequately heat the foam box and provide a gradient and it’s been working well, but I don’t plan on using the heat mat on the enclosures itself.

CHE seem to be the most effective, but like you said I am worried about the potential fire hazard. I would rather eliminate the worry for that (maybe go with the deep heat projector?).

Another option I was thinking of was getting a xPVC enclosure and using that with a radiant heat panel or the UTH heat mat inside as the heat source, but the heat mat would be more dependent on how well the PVC can hold heat. I can always line the sides of the enclosure with foam and foil though I guess. But with a glass door, this would make for better viewing of the scorpions.

Here’s a photo of the shelves in question, I apologize for how messy it is.

Attachments