Centruroides w/ fecal bloackage (help!)

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
I lost a couple of C. gracilis in the last month due to bad molts. I have an individual that survived but was caught (I had to rescue him) and the cuticle had already started to harden, leaving the last segment of the telson deformed. As a result, it appears that there is a fecal blockage (I can see through the cuticle enough to see that there is some white inside).

There doesn't appear to be anything stuck on the end of the telson and I don't think the feces can pass through. Any ideas on what to do? If I remove the last segment of the telson, will that completely screw up its digestive system? I know a scorpion can live without a stinger, but I don't know if it can live without the whole last segment of the telson.

Emily

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can you post a pic?

I am not sure, maybe perform minor surgery by cutting away the cuticle that appears to be blocking the pipework. And I say this tentatively and would require a steady hand and hemostats to be absolutely sure only the cuticle is cut away and NOTHING else.

If it is still hardening, try to get the cuticle out of the way or remove it.

But I ain't suggesting anything until we can possible get a look ourselves.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*bump*

Oh yeah, don't bother removing the telson or you'd mind as well perform euthanasia on the scorp. The open wound will bleed hemolymph (?) and pick up all kinds of debris and cause further fecal blockage when it dries and be back to square one. By surgically removing the whole telson, I'd either place it in the freezer or give the suffering telsonless scorpion to my H. longipes or another tarantula with an appetite. Sounds cold and brutal but the doomed scorp will serve a greater purpose rather than just die an agonizing death.

And scorpions do not regenerate the telson.

With pics maybe we can assist hopefully and get your scorp's health turned around. And maybe just maybe, nothing is wrong.

If worst comes to worst, euthanasia.

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
I already removed the old cuticle, but the tail was squished inside for a while and already started to harden by the time I removed the old cuticle. I will post a pic tonight.

Gosh am I the only one who has problems with Centruroides mortality?? I'm hoping my females with pop a few more.

Emily

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Removing the telson is out of the question being that it is fixed so close to the anus. You wouldn't want to damage a organ. Plus, it's kind of ghastly.

My impression from your description all that remedy required is either snip a sliver of chitin away and avoiding the tissue beneath. Or take a toothpick and very gently using the blunt shaft to reshape the chitin away from the anus if it hasn't completely hardened. It will survive the deformity until next molt and then hopefully have a uncomplicated one.

But yes, I look forward to seeing your pics and we can resolve this dilemna together.

Avic_Litee

Arachnopeon
Finally got around to posting the pics.

Here are a couple new and improved enclosures with vertical climbs. Look okay?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
much better with the climbs :) wow thats a pretty funky tail.. have you seen any sign of it defecating yet?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ew, that looks real nasty, the 5th metasomal and telson are crushed in appearance. What a shame!

Because the coloration and contrasts are gorgeous.

How is the scorpion doing?

I am not sure it can survive such a bad molt in the long run.