• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Centruroides vittatus

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was stung by an adult C.vitattus during what can be best described as a transference incident during a routine cleaning. Immediate "hot, burning" local pain followed by one of the worst swelling I have ever suffered from a biting/stinging insect. My whole index finger swelled up twice it's size which lasted a week or two. Further hampered with an itching sensation at the site of the sting. This is the most painful envenomation I ever experienced from a scorpion. A wasp and/or velvet ant sting comes to mind. Which I have experience both during my rambunctious younger years in Arizona.

DC

androctonus75

Arachnopeon
C. vitattus sting

I was field collecting in a glade in Jefferson county MO, when I was stung on the back of my left hand by a 4 cm specimen (immature). I experienced a sharp stinging sensation similair to that of a hornet or wasp, but about half of the intensity. There was a redish area approximately the size of a silver dollar around the area of the sting. Very mild swelling occured (almost none). Pain and swelling dissapated within a few hours.

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
androctonus75 said:
I was field collecting in a glade in Jefferson county MO, when I was stung on the back of my left hand by a 4 cm specimen (immature). I experienced a sharp stinging sensation similair to that of a hornet or wasp, but about half of the intensity. There was a redish area approximately the size of a silver dollar around the area of the sting. Very mild swelling occured (almost none). Pain and swelling dissapated within a few hours.
I have collected in southern Missouri and Arkansas. Ozark and Ava (Douglas County?) MO and a place called 'Rush' Arkansas. It's not called that on the map but it's there. I too have been tagged by vittatus. My dumbass actually put my fingers under the edge of a big rock to lift it and I felt like my finger had been touched with a hot poker. Big, gravid female tagged me on the index finger. My finger was tender for a while but that was about it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Been a while since I've been stung by a scorpion. I've been stung 5 times by this species. The reaction and pain seemed a little different for each sting. One of the most painful stings happened while turning over rocks here in Texas. Very, very painful. More intense than a Yellowjacket. Not the paper wasps but the Yellojacket. The ones some people call hornets. The ones that usually are in stumps and in the ground. Those hurt real bad too! This was like that but worse. But not much swelling. The intense pain didn't last long. There was maybe a minute before it seemed to start subsiding. This was on my right hand by the way. In between my index finger and thumb. I had to be careful not to bump my right hand on anything for about three days. If I did, there would be a painful, but tolerable, tingling for a few seconds of my whole hand.

Another time, I was with my dad on a bunch of acreage my mother inherited. This was about 4 years ago. We were getting fire wood. I started knocking the bark off of dead trees in hopes of finding a Louisiana Milksnake. My dad doesn't curse. That day, I let him know that I can curse. I think I said every cus word in one long sentence. I was knocking bark off with an ax. I knocked a scorpion on to my forearm and, jeeeeeeeezzzz! The pain almost made me want to vomit. Ever had a kidney stone? My arm looked normal for the rest of the day. It took over 24 hours for it to swell. My arm was huge. I thought about looking for another one to make my other arm match. I looked like I had been working my right arm out and forgot about the left one. It was embarrassing to go to work. Everybody was stopping by my office to look at my arm. But I wasn't in any pain....unless I bumped it and even then it didn't hurt that bad. Anyway, I experienced a definite tingly numbness for about three or four days around the area. Never have been stung by any other kind of scorpion. I almost said "bitten". That used to bother me when people would say they got "bit" by a wasp or scorpion....STUUUUNG! But now I don't care. It all hurts!

SalS

Arachnopeon
I got hit by one of these several years ago. This was very painfull. I got stung on my right index finger. The pain was intense and instantaneous. It really felt like I got smacked with a hammer. There was a hot, throbbing sensation for about an hour. My finger did swell a bit, but that went away in a few hours.

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Centruroides vittatus

Last night, while transferring eight centruroides vittatus into a shipping container i got stung for the first time ever. I grabbed a leaf to turn it over and got stung twice on the bottom of the tip of my right middle finger. The one that got me was a large male and the pain was immediate and intense. It felt like my fingernail was cracked and pressure was being applied to it. The pain lasted until i held my finger in a little tupperware with ice and some water. Within seconds of submerging my finger, the pain was almost completly gone, but when i took my finger out, the pain came back with full force. a little bit of swelling and stiffness occured but all symptoms and pain were gone within two hours. My finger is not sore, stiff or swollen at all... All that is left are two tiny little red dots where i got stung. I do not look forward to getting stung again, especially when i dont have access to ice :wall:

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got stung on my index finger by a captured pet when I was 6 years old...It was an intense burning pain from what I can remember, like being stuck with a hot needle...then throbbing...my mom had me ice it for the rest of the day, and I was fine...

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
bark scorps

I was stung by a bark scorpion native to east texas. I'm not sure of the species since I was six years old at the time. Hurt like heck with a 10 on the pain scale. My toe swelled to at least twice its normal size. May parents had taken me to the doctor but there wasn't anything to be done for the sting. I just sat at home with meat tenderizer on my toe and in about 6-7 hours, the pain was gone. That's what I get for grabbing things I see in the corner of my eye before looking at it first. {D

SalS

Arachnopeon
Ok, I got nailed by one of these again. Same painful situation as before, but this time the effects lasted longer, about 4 hours. Also, about 2 hours after the bite, my lips started to feel numb.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
a few years ago i was stung when putting on a pair of shorts by a c. vitattus in its natural environemt...that would be my house lol' any way it hit me on the inner thigh about 9" above the knee.. didnt hurt just a slight itching sensation.
i have been stung on the knee whilst working on air contitioners and it also just itched a little.

apparantly the >100 stings of yellow jackets made me immune to the scorps venom as well as bees and wasps ...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A couple months back, I was stung by a gravid female C.vitattus. I was getting the other scorps out so they wouldn't bother the female(even though they are communal). Well as I was about to pull the last scorp out it ran under a piece of bark I had set in the cage. I went to grab the park and got stung on my middle finger. It felt like a needle had penetrated my skin. Not to bad. I couple seconds later my hand tingled and started to burn. My finger had swollen up a bit. The pain wasn't the worst, I'd rate it a 2 of 5. I put my hand into cold water and the pain subsided almost instantly. Everytime I pulled my hand out, the pain returned. I kept it like this for about 1-2 hours. After that, the pain was gone, only a swollen hand. The next morning there was no sign I was every stung.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dumb Dumb

Today I was pickin up scorps and had a deli cup with 2 in there already, i was watching the ones i was about to pick up instead of the delicup and tilted it over and one of them ( or both) hit my middle finger tip a couple times. I felt it but didnt realize it was a sting, later it began to itch a little and tingled a bit but no pain at all. no swelling either

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, maybe there IS something about all those stings that have numbed you a bit to C. vittatus stings. Well I've been stung a lot more since my last post in this thread. Fingers, toes.. other than when looking for bug stuff, they are in my house too. I've stepped on them at night before and in my bathtub. But none of the stings have been very painful compared to those two other couple of really painful ones.

armandb

Arachnopeon
Well, I was finally stung the other night by an adult Centruroides vitattus. I was sleeping and crossed my left leg onto my right. All of a sudden my heart rate went up and I jumped out of bed. The pain started slowly and then hit like a ton of bricks! I told my wife that my leg felt like it was going to explode and to pull back the sheet covers to see if there was a wasp or something under the covers. Well, as soon as she pulled them back the scorp ran accross the bed! Yes, I did freak out. The pain got worse and would ease slightly with ice but the complete pain took two days to go away. Needless to say I have a new found respect for this species. :worship:

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Warning: If you are considering moving to West Texas, dont walk around the house barefoot.

I just stepped on, and was stung by an adult C vit. Its telson was drivin into the ball of my right foot, below my big toe. Right now its hurting pretty bad, and has already started to swell a bit. Even when Im badly hurt, I dont swell alot, so Im not expecting anything big. The ankle joint is starting to ache, but my toe joints dont hurt.

If it gets worse, Ill post an update.

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Was checking on a small colony of wild-caught C. vittatus I had recently set-up and was moving the bark around with my hand (dumb). While inspecting one piece, I was hit in the pinkie finger by one individual that went unnoticed. The pain was immediate and sharp. Though I have to say the pain wasn't quite as bad as wasp/yellowjacket/velvet ant stings I have experienced. The pain lasted full force for about 10 minutes then subsided greatly. Swelling was minimal. No after effects today.

thomas22

Arachnopeon
C.vittatus sting

i have to been stung by vittatus both MM and MF neither were bad just hot like i poked by a redhot needle followed by a small white spot, but thats about it. went away within 15-20 minutes.

Arachnopeon
What Was I Thinking!

We caught a beaut the other day under a rock and i tried to place a mealworm too close to her with too short of tweezers she wrapped her tail over em then as a response i lifted up as she flailed around tagging me on my finger tip:8o Lesson Learned! I'm Numb and Tingly a bit sore but better after a few hours now.BTW my mom got tagged lifting up a hose as well she felt alot more pain than i did im bigger though.

spider_mike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got hit last night doing tank maintanance on Centruroides vittatus
colony. :clap: Im not impressed. Small prick in finger, slight burnin sensation , no swelling or other side effects.

It was described to me like a bee sting but any bee ive been stung by was way worse. It was a full grown female. Seems harmless to me anyway.

Mike

fstuart

Arachnopeon
I was sitting at my computer desk shuffling my feet when I stepped on one. I pretty much leaped out of the chair without looking down but I knew it had to be a scorpion.
It felt like most described, stabbed by a burning needle. I had light swelling on the bottom of my foot but the pain was gone about 5 to 7 minutes later. The swelling was probably gone an hour later.

I actually stubbed my other toe when I jumped out of my chair and that damn thing was hurting a week later :razz: