Centruroides vittatus info

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thinking of picking up a few of these.
I know these are very small, communal scorpions that are semi arboreal but I've also read they tend to be escape artists. Any advice on the type of housing that would be best for them to avoid escape? Really don't want to lose one and get tagged by this species. That would be a very sad-face moment.

Would screen-top cages be best or can they chew their way through? Breeder boxes seem out of the question since they seem like they'd be able to squeeze through the ventilation holes.

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keeping scorpions from escaping is fairly easy. They can't climb smooth surfaces. So all you need to do is keep the vent holes smaller than the scorpion, get a secure top and your set. Tiny babies have been known to crawl up the beads of calking used in making glass tanks. I use tuperware or some other plastic container usually. If I'm dealing with a species witha real nasty sting I make sure the top is flip proof. In other words can the tank be dropped from a reasonable hight and not fall open.

ezberserk

Arachnopeon
Semi-aboreal? Only place i've seen these guys above ground are on the walls in my house. Searching for them out in the field i've only found them under objects rocks primarily along with wood, old deer blinds, etc. I have lost count how many times i've been stung by these initially feels like being electricuted but subsides within half an hour(for me at least). IMO these are extremely hardy little guys temps range from 20's in winter all the way to 110 in summer with humidty ranging from 40-90% with these being local stats where this species thrives in south Texas.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are very aboreal when they have something to climb on. I've seen them in Austin around 15ft. off the ground! John is correct about the corner sealant providing footing. They can also climb scratched up plastic like critter keepers. With a little forethought though, they are easy to contain. I used critter keepers to keep them communally. To ensure no escapes, I taped the handle holes on both sides, and would put plastic window screen across the top before putting on the lid. This worked well for me. If using an aquarium, I would add lid locks. 4 should work, 6 would be optimal.

These guys, along with P. reddelli were my first scorpions, so I may be a little biased. But I really do love this species. Their habitat ranges from wet forests of Louisiana and Central Texas, to the dry deserts. Because they are aboreal, they can be seen quite often. They will live in high densities. They grow and breed rapidly, and are aggressive, sometimes feeding communally! Very fun species! Oh, and they have multiple color variations. Get 'em! :}