• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Centruroides sculpturatus

The Emperor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awhile back I was sitting on the coach and was stung on the foot by a Centruroides sculpturatus. I know this scorp is supposed to be medically dangerous, But oodly enough the sting didn't really effect me. I think it's because it was such a young scorp.

The only side effects were some localized burning, and the area becoming sore.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually, their sting doesnt affect most healthy adults significantly. i was stung and the only affect it had was a slight drunken feeling and a headache. others i know have only had localized pain for a few hours and it went away.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was over at a buddy's house(RobertJ) and got tagged by this species causing a sharp pain in my finger and some swelling. Pain was over in an hour.
Pain:3/10
Lasted:Serious pain 10 minutes. Total pain about an hour
Last week I recieved this species for my self and on saturday morning at about 9am I was looking to show my brother (we share a room) my new additions. As soon as I lifted the lid to the container the scorp tagged me about three times in my middle finger. I flicked it off and withing seconds fell the same pain in my finger as the last tag. In about 45-60 seconds later the pain travelled up to my armpit. And for about 1:00 and a half my whole right arm was hurting. 2 hours later my whole right arm plus the right side of my chest was "numb" and I would have spasms of acute pain randomly at intervals of about 10 minutes. That day I went on a pretty intense hike and evertime I used my right arm I would get a sharp pain. At about 6pm I was feeling very lightheaded and weak but this could of been because I was trying really hard not to use my right side of my body to climb a pretty decent sized mountain. At 9pm I felt pretty normal again except when I touched something hard with my right hand my whole right arm was still numb. The next day I woke up feeling good but my middle finger(the inflicted area) was still numb. I tested the pain level my slapping my arm against a wall, no pain. I tested my hand by slapping my hand on a table, only pain was in my middle finger. The feeling lasted all day.
Day 3, Today: no more pain what so ever but my middle finger is still numb and slightly swollen.
Copied from scorpionforum a few months ago...so it's been a while I just didnt want to change it.

nyckat

Arachnopeon
I got hit a few years back..

In the bathroom of all places, when I thought I had stepped on a piece of broken glass, or something, I looked down at my foot and saw my sons guy scampering back behind the bidet..and realized I was stung. It felt like I stepped on a sharp splinter of glass, the inside of my foot was on fire. I was pretty sick within 4 hours, at 8 months pregnant, I called our doctor and explained to him that I was stung. We lived in El Paso Texas, so I did NOT feel the need to say it was by our "pet", he said there was nothing much to be done, but come in if I got worse, by the next day I was tired but fine..no big deal.

C-Kor

Arachnopeon
I live in an apparent hot-spot for Arizona Bark Scorpions (Centruroides sculpturatus), ive had the pleasure of being stung a few times. The worst one, and first one, was when I was clearing brush from around my house, the thing stung my hand right on the vein and I stumbled back really shocked, then the pain started. I couldnt even move my arm it was so swollen and in so much pain. I soaked my hand in hot water and took an advil, but neither seemed to help. I started to get light-headed and nauseas, but after about 3 hours of non-stop pain, it started to go away, to a throbbing like, numb pain. Not a fun experience, but i think it was because the venom went straight into my vein, since ive been stung numerous times since with a lot of pain, but nowhere near as much, and little swelling.

Last edited:

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just got stung a little bit ago. The pain was intense at first, now it just smarts. It feels like touching a electrical fence that you find at ranches and farms. As of yet there is no swelling or inflammation. I will keep the forum updated. I will try and go to sleep and wake up in a few hours and we'll see if the pain is still present.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feel I must add something. The tingling feeling, the itching and the mild pain is almost 99% gone. I did not seek medical help this time as I was not having any difficulty breathing, or the sweats and chills. I did however get "somewhat" dizzy and nausea. It may sound ridiculous, but using my Sony Playstation Portable, helped me get feeling back in my lower wrist, and hand. The most affected was my thumb.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got tagged a couple of weeks ago by one. I was sitting at my computer desk and it was a sharp pain on the tip of my toe, then my whole toe exploded in pain followed by my whole foot. after about an hour and a half of fire like pain it slowly dulled and was numb for about 15 hours. No problems after the numbness went away (though I did move my computer desk away from the wall). No medical help was needed, and I was able to walk during the worst of the pain after the first ten minutes had passed.

Purpleorange8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
1/2 inch new baby
Felt something crawling up my leg and I thought it was bass, brushed my leg and it stung me. I got stung 2 times yesterday but my thread was closed!
I have a Swollen Ankle, Swollen finger and swollen elbow.
I am experiencing PISSY MOODS!!! lol.
Symptoms are still going, even the ones from yesterday! :p
I am receiving no medical attention
Hurtness and tenderness! lol
No pics sorry :(

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think babies are the worst. Been stung twice, once on my thumb and once on my back while lying on the sofa. The one on my thumb was like a knife cut but throughout the day numbness traveled up my arm. The one on my back turned into a big swollen knot and hurt like crazy for about 3 days. It was about 2 weeks before the red lump went away.

Dandrurus67

Arachnopeon
Hey, I'm new to Arachnoboards and have just been surfing around. This forum about sting experiences caught my attention, and I thought I'd say something about C. sculpturatus specifically.

I was stung by an adult female about 10 years ago. To make a long story short, she fell out of a container as I was putting her in a tank on a very high shelf, and I made the snap decision to grab for her rather than risk her splattering on the floor. She got me on the knuckle of my 4th finger. (As silly as this sounds, I don't remember which hand it was.)

I've been stung by several species of scorpion and generally haven't had bad reactions to any of them, but this was the exception. It felt like a C. vittatus sting at first (sharp burning at the sting site), and then the pain gradually spread all the way up to my shoulder over the course of about an hour. I had intense pain throughout my whole arm, accompanied by the sensation of needles poking all over my arm, for about 9 hours or so.

The next day my arm still hurt a little but felt well enough to play some street hockey, but the knuckle was numb for two weeks. Having said all that, I didn't have any systemic symptoms (shortness of breath, light-headedness, nausea, etc.).

I always assumed this was a typical C. sculpturatus reaction, but after reading all the accounts on this thread, I guess maybe I got the worse end of the stick! :}

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stung by wild C. Sculpt. Went to catch a sub adult on my wall with a glass. It hit my finger twice... mild pain to the finger,nothing to exciting. This is the next morning.. still just a pain where it hit me.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 2 1/2 year old daughter got stung

At 1:55pm this afternoon my daughter stepped on a wild C. Sculpt in my bed room(it was an adult, didn't sex it). She screamed and fell to the ground holding her right heel. I saw the scorpion run away from her. I scooped her up, ran to the car and started to head down to the ER. On the way after about five minutes she stopped crying/screaming. She was back to her happy self, waving at cars and chatting away. I determined at that point that it was a dry sting, cleaned her foot which she continued to hold for an hour afterwards. It's 6:56pm now, and she's fine, no signs of any envenomation.

Last edited:

jam5906

Arachnopeon
Centruroides sculpturatus (I think)

-8:00 pm out looking for scorpions I was under the impression that Centruroides sculpturatus (AZ bark scorpion) were a bit harder to come by than the “harmless” guys I was wrong I was miss-ID'ing, they look so similar the barks have longer claws but are identical everywhere else. Found one and put the cup in front of it and scooted it in with my hand (no comments about that please) it felt like a thorn stick one small drop of blood came out.

-8:05pm the finger started to hurt within minutes, then my wrist followed, I walked home and iced it.

-8:15pm while icing I had my head down for 10 min or so I stood up and my face lips and tong were tingling. Went to go lay down. No evidence of a sting on my finger AT ALL, completely neurotoxic.

-8:30pm by now my entire left arm did not work well, and my hand felt like it was being hit repeatedly with a hammer.

-8:45pm pain increased in my arm only, the tingling spread to my throat right hand and arm, and the bottoms of my feet were so numb walking was almost impossible. I took a drink of ice water it felt like I was swallowing warm BB's very weird.

-9:00 pm pain and tingling getting worse now my stomach and knee caps are fluttering uncontrollably. Also my vision is blurred severely due to the fast twitching of my eyes (my eyes looked like awake REM sleep), I can't focus on the menu on TV, I'm very anxious and cant sit still.

-9:30 pm called poison control they said it is NOT life threatening and I only would need to go to the hospital it the symptoms got out of control I took some Xanax and Oxycodone to chill out it did not help. Poison control said that this was all they would give me at the ER so I stayed home. There is not much to say for AZ government but I must give a thank you to poison control they even called me back to check up that night and the next day!! The intense pain lasted 6 hours or so.

I did sleep a bit and when I woke up the pain was less and everything was back to normal except my left arm it still was tingling and stiff the best way to describe it was that it didn't work right.

It was 3 days until all symptoms were gone and my felt hand felt normal.

I'm 6'3" 200lbs and the little guy (.75" body) put me away here is a pic

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=23444&c=81

As for the scorp I'm keeping him I put his pic under scorpion ID
James

Last edited:

CALovett

Arachnopeon
When I was a kid, I used to live in a house that was infested with these little guys.

I had one as a pet that I'd caught in my shower. Later, it turned out she was gravid, and so my mother made me murder my pet.

The past is the past, though; that was a long time ago.

Anyway, she tagged me once when I was cleaning her tank. I'm pretty sure she gave me a dry sting, since I just felt a poke and a little drop of blood came out of the end of my finger. I know without a doubt she was a C. sculpturatus, because we had them everywhere. Others in the family weren't so lucky as I when they got stung.

Living here in AZ and looking to get another of them -- or maybe even a pair -- I'll probably get tagged again. I'll let you all know how that goes.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I moved to Tucson about two years ago. The only scorpions around my house are, naturally, C. sculpturatus. I have caught a few in the house here and there...

A few nights ago...I went up to the loft and stepped on one..and what began as a sharp pain grew within moments to be the most intense sting I have ever experienced. I froze and located the culprit a few feet away, looking as innocent as a Bark Scorpion can....

After a half hour I was able to hobble downstairs to a bottle of whiskey and a handful of Demerol...After 2 1/2 hours it had fallen to a tingling throb.
I started out tired enough to fall asleep, this left me wired with assorted muscle throbs. It was 4 hours before I was able to sleep. The next morning my foot was twitchy all over and I felt a general malaise. The twitches and spasms were over after 24 hours. I was told this a light "love tap".

It is time to find my black light and clear the yard! @#$%@@!!!

Attachments