Centruroides sculpturatus care questions.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
I recently acquired three Centruroides sculpturatus scorpions. Right now, they are in a large critter keeper with around 2 inches of substrate, a substrate mix of 50% coco fiber and 50% sand. I have few cork bark slabs that are set up so the scorpions can climb. they also have 2 water dishes. I don't think that they are full sized yet so when they get bigger, I will move them into a larger enclosure. I am keeping them really dry. does anyone have any suggestions? I was also wondering if they can breed in a communal setup and if so, would you remove the gravid female? Also, can you add more of this species to the communal whenever you want or should they be raised together?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I recently acquired three Centruroides sculpturatus scorpions. Right now, they are in a large critter keeper with around 2 inches of substrate, a substrate mix of 50% coco fiber and 50% sand. I have few cork bark slabs that are set up so the scorpions can climb. they also have 2 water dishes. I don't think that they are full sized yet so when they get bigger, I will move them into a larger enclosure. I am keeping them really dry. does anyone have any suggestions? I was also wondering if they can breed in a communal setup and if so, would you remove the gravid female? Also, can you add more of this species to the communal whenever you want or should they be raised together?
Images of the setup ?

Taysha

Arachnosquire
Images of the setup or some more info, such as an approximate size of the scorpions and the dimensions on the critter keeper would be helpful:)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You will readily see spawning behavior in a communal setup. You can basically add more whenever you want. However in a communal setup it's debatable whether or not be babies Will Survive since they all will probably be climbing over each other all the time. It is also possible that they will be cannibalized.

They are arboreal so the more vertically oriented bark the better.

woodie

Arachnosquire
I would moisten the substrate weekly in one corner of enclosure. Have had reduction in losses from previous owner of my colony by doing so

Nikki666

Arachnopeon
We have had our 25 in one housing unit for close to a year and it's been great, we haven't had any pregnancies yest, however we did experience the mating ritual thing they do... but we have added some at different times and it is not a problem at all. They are super friendly and totally not aggressive.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I agree with @Nikki666 they are pretty docile for a scorpion, but when a C. sculpturatus female is highly pregnant/gravid that behavior might change a bit and she may become more defensive.
Still one of the nicest scorpions to keep communal ! I regret trading mine for something else. Still got 2 of it's nephews C gracilis.