Centruroides nigrescens inquiry

mma316

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a pair of C. nigrescens that I have housed separately in rubbermaid containers. The male has an ashy tinge to it's exoskeleton, but the female still looks as black as ever. Has anyone else ever experienced such an event before?
I have them on sphagnum peat, which I keep my whole collection(tarantulas and scorpions). I've noticed that when it's left undisturbed and humid, that it easily grows a mild mold froth in the damp areas of the enclosures. Do you think that he's effected by this?

Like I stated my whole collection is housed on the S P M, and I've never had a problem with it before.I have a water bowl in it's enclosure. I also mist weekly to bi-weekly, but I haven't since I noticed the froth. He's also not as voracious as the female. If anyone knows what's going on? I'd appreciate the input.

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have any experience with this species in particular.I don't think mold is good.You could try to give more ventilation to take care of it.I've noticed in most species that the males tend to not eat as much as the females do,but this is just the ones that I have owned.I'm not saying that this is the case in yours,but it could be.I've had some Centruroides of same species.That one would be docile,and other would attack anything that moved.Don't really no what to tell you on the color difference.It could be normal.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no experience with this species either but I have the feeling that you keep them in a too humid environment. Most Centruroides sp. I have encountered live in much drier areas with the only exception Centruroides gracilis. The latter seems quite adaptable; found in dry grasslands under stones and under rotting wood in mango groves.

If your male was a juvenile I would explain the lighter color by an upcoming molt. But from your writing I assume both are adults?

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah its to humid you need to give that species more ventilation
i think thats caused by the minerals in the water (hard water) which drys an ashy white color but its more than likely not going to come off

so to prevern it from getting worse i would provide more ventilation in the enclosure(s)