Centruroides Exilicauda vs. P.Imperator?

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i get small Arizona Bark Scorpions in my house from time to time...i was wondering if i could feed them to my Emp. ?

i live in a rural area and the nearest pet store for crix is 2 hours away. i have started to try and breed the crix, and have fed them nice fresh fruit and veggies as well as Fluker's Orange Cubes but they have all died a week after i got them from Petco...i managed to feed my P.imp about 5 crix in a week before they died...(started with 20)

i also got him from Petco (rescued him, more like it) and figured i would try to feed him as much as he would take before the crix all died...

there are tons of wild roaches running outside as well...

but i don't want the roaches to infect my P.imp with mites or just plain ol roach nastiness...plus they are tougher than crix and i don't want digestion probs..

also, i don't want to use the Bark Scorpions as food if it could hurt my Emp...

i've been looking online for small orders of crix...the best deal i've found is:
http://www.ghann.com/default.aspx 100 for 6.99...shipping is included.

i've heard mealworms last a lot longer than crix...i'll prolly get some when i order my batch of crix...

any input is appreciated, i primarily would like to know if these wild-bred alternate food sources are OK.

thanks in advance,

Huf

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehe-wish i could...i don't get them all the time...i'm sure they are all over the place outside, i just don't have a blacklight to find 'em...maybe next time i get to civilization i will get one.

my main problem is crix dying b4 i can feed em' to my emp...it's hard to justify buying quantities of crix when they just croak, hence me trying to breed 'em...

i guess i could always buy some bearded dragons and a few more scorps but i'm on a budget right now...:wall:

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would really like some of them, I have one but always welcome more. Send them my way! :D

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
might be more cost effective for you to buy only a couple crix every week like say 3.... especially if you only have one emp. Ofcourse you could start keeping t6he centruroides and have a colony.... then the extra crix won't be going to waste

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those centruroides exilicauda are like, the coolest scorps. Don't get rid of them, keep them! :D

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and have fed them nice fresh fruit and veggies as well as Fluker's Orange Cubes
Try crushed dry cat food with a slice of potatoe every second day. If you don't give them any meat/protien subsitute (dry cat food) they'll kill and eat each other instead..!
Also crickets like it warm and dry...a sweaty humidity will take them down in no time.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Try crushed dry cat food with a slice of potatoe every second day. If you don't give them any meat/protien subsitute (dry cat food) they'll kill and eat each other instead..!
Also crickets like it warm and dry...a sweaty humidity will take them down in no time.
In order for crickets to breed they need a moist substrate to lay eggs in. Adults like it dark, hot and a little moist. That's why you find wild crikets under things.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In order for crickets to breed they need a moist substrate to lay eggs in.
Yeah, i know that, but i was refering to adult crickets..!

Adults like it dark, hot and a little moist.
Not necessarily true....I've always kept my adult Gryllus bimaculatus hot n dry (40% humidity)and never had any problems..
Also my crickets like to hang out in full view in the warmest area....which is also the brightest..!

That's why you find wild crikets under things
They hide under things because they are hiding from predators..In captivity they quickly adapt to a non predator enviroment..Thats why they'll be out in full view and only run for cover when you mess with them..!

Last edited:

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thank you everyone for your input! i did not know about the crix becoming cannibals without the protein supplement...!

i also didn't know people liked these bark scorpions this much...
they are considered a pest here in SE Arizona. as much as i love insects, it's not fun to find one in your bed or on your ceiling before retiring.

if i can start a colony i will be happy to ship some out provided you pay for the shipping...if i get good at it i would prolly ask for a small donation to cover my costs. i also wouldn't want to step on any professional breeders toes as they make a living off raising their inverts...

but as i mentioned, i'm on a budget right now-can't afford another scorp setup. i will keep you guys posted! thanks again for the info...

ps: can you feed wild roaches to P.Imps?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't feed any wild caught insects to my scorps. just because you can never tell if they are full of pesticides or worse... parasites

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wouldn't feed any wild caught insects to my scorps. just because you can never tell if they are full of pesticides or worse... parasites

Ah! just as i suspected...just wanted to make sure. i actually found a feed supply/pet store in my small town that carries crix-thank god i don't have to drive 2 hours for crix!!

thanks for the info Bayushi! btw, this is off-topic, but i grew up on Van.isle in Nanaimo-my folks still have a house there down by Departure Bay-nice to meet a fellow Islander!...anyway, thanx again!

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you can also buy young/smaller crix and they will last longer... good for on linr ordering ask for med. size

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess the point of the thread is, please don't feed your C. exilis to anything! They are beautiful and awesome scorps and don't need to be used as food! :)

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@ LF[Media]: hehe-don't worry, i won't...i was just at a loss for an alternate food source. thankfully i have now found a store in town that sells crix...

@wburke17: great idea...already have some small ones from this store that i mentioned above...

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I raise crix myself and I have very few deaths. In fact out of the last three batches of crix I bought, I only had two die and that was because I forgot to water them. I keep mine in a ten gallon tank with soil in the bottom and feed them baby carrots. It's so much easier for me.I don't lose any to predation on each otehr and in fact I have more pinheads pop uot at once than I can use so I give the rest to a friend of mine who is also a member on this board. During the winter till late spring I usually plant ryegrass in the tank and I don't feed them at all. At any rate, I hope it works out for you.

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good to know!...i'm currently housing mine in a 15 gallon tote with peat sub. i think it would be nice to have them in an aquarium tho'...