Centruroides excilicauda

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
That scorpion is either a Vaejovis spp or possibly Paruroctonus spp. Difficult to tell from the photo.

John
];')

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
John, I do know we have V. coahuilae, V. crassimanus, V. russelli that can be found in this area (not familiar with Paruroctonus spp) but side by side they have a noticibly thicker tail and generally darker claws. Take a look at this centruroides . This animal is at least 3 years old and would be comfortable sitting on a nickel. I suppose I could be wrong but I don't think so.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John is right. The chela and metasoma are way too thick to be C.exilicauda -- or any Centruroides, for that matter. Also, if I remember correctly (which I may not), C.exilicauda does not range into NM at all.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Your scorpion is almost certainly a Vaejovis coahuilae. Note the striping down the center of the body and on the segments of the tail. Also note the length of the thin section of the claws. Also if you are in New Mexico V.coahuilae is presen there.

Dave, C.exilicauda is also reported from extreme SW New Mexico.

John
];')

Attachments

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
By the way I am keeping all of these species at the moment. I photograph the somewhat regularly. Pay particular attention to the claws and tails in this last example.

Lastly...C.exilicauda is around 2-3" in size while V.coahuilae in under 2" in length. If if fits on a nickel then it is almost certainly not C.exilicauda as they are larger than that. Lastly the age of the scorpion is not a good clue in this case as both species can live 2-4 years from birth to death.

John
];')

Attachments

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks John, got my records changed to the correct name. Do the have a 'common' name? Thanks again for the help.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
There is a common name...found it...according to ATS section on common names...Vaejovis coahuilae is the lesser stripetail scorpion.

John
];')

Last edited: