Centruroides and other "Barks" Qs...

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So these have got to be my favorite animals of all time and I was wondering about a few things.
What is the largest nonCentruroides bark scorpion?
What is the largest Centruroides?
What is the smallest bark?
What is the largest amount of sculpturatus/vittatus anyone has kept communally?
TBH

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damn, what's up with the sudden popularity of centruroides?

The largest I believe i Centruroides margaritatus, C.Graclilis, or C.Limbatus
Not sure what the smallest is.
Smallest I seen are small male C.Hentzi and Vittatus

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn, what's up with the sudden popularity of centruroides?

The largest I believe i Centruroides margaritatus, C.Graclilis, or C.Limbatus
Not sure what the smallest is.
Smallest I seen are small male C.Hentzi and Vittatus
it just like a few months ago desert hairy was the scorpion of choice.;)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe because I showed up and started populating everyone's home with them and asking a lot of annoying questions! :p

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe because I showed up and started populating everyone's home with them and asking a lot of annoying questions! :p
Nah, I actually think it was me.

When some dude asked which he should get and I recommended C.Vittatus
I started recommending them like crazy then people got them then they asked questions then it went on.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nah, I actually think it was me.

When some dude asked which he should get and I recommended C.Vittatus
I started recommending them like crazy then people got them then they asked questions then it went on.
i think i may have been that dude;)

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Out of the 12 Centruroides species I keep. The biggest is C.nigrescens.
Small ones are C.arctimanus, C.meisei,...
The biggest non Centuroid could be R.junceus or B.gigas. I don't know any bigger ones.

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The biggest non Centuroid could be R.junceus or B.gigas. I don't know any bigger ones.
isn't it an H. longimanus that has the record for longest? And isn't P. Imp. usually cited as the biggest in terms of mass? Or are tropical scorps excluded here?

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
isn't it an H. longimanus that has the record for longest? And isn't P. Imp. usually cited as the biggest in terms of mass? Or are tropical scorps excluded here?
They are not bark scorpions though, the OP was referring specifically to bark scorps.

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are not bark scorpions though, the OP was referring specifically to bark scorps.
ok well not trying to start another rant about how common names are bad/useless etc, but I thought only centruroides species were considered bark scorpions. But no matter that's why common names are bad. :?

should have figured out that's not the case from the op but oh well sorry.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the largest amount of sculpturatus/vittatus anyone has kept communally?
TBH
My colony has been as high as 180, but I generally keep it about 120. This is in a 29 gallon tank, the density is high but with several large 'holey' rocks there are plenty of places to hide. That said many of them just spend their time crawling around and over each other.

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok well not trying to start another rant about how common names are bad/useless etc, but I thought only centruroides species were considered bark scorpions. But no matter that's why common names are bad. :?

should have figured out that's not the case from the op but oh well sorry.
No need to apologize, re-reading my response to you made it sound like I was being a dick...that was not my intention, I am sorry.

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My colony has been as high as 180, but I generally keep it about 120. This is in a 29 gallon tank, the density is high but with several large 'holey' rocks there are plenty of places to hide. That said many of them just spend their time crawling around and over each other.
Got any pics of your set up Reverendsterlin? I would love to see it.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, in this instance there was no substitute available for the "common name" like there is when refering directly to a distinct animal species. Bark scorpions are defined as Centruroides, Babycurus, Lychas, Tityus, etc. They are usually Buthids and are usually aboreal, they do have varying potencies.
Thanks to all of whom that responded, I'm sure your information will prove valuable to many and I find it very interesting!
TBH