Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Centruroides and other "Barks" Qs...

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ThomasH, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Advertisement
    So these have got to be my favorite animals of all time and I was wondering about a few things.
    What is the largest nonCentruroides bark scorpion?
    What is the largest Centruroides?
    What is the smallest bark?
    What is the largest amount of sculpturatus/vittatus anyone has kept communally?
    TBH

2. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Damn, what's up with the sudden popularity of centruroides?

The largest I believe i Centruroides margaritatus, C.Graclilis, or C.Limbatus
    Not sure what the smallest is.
    Smallest I seen are small male C.Hentzi and Vittatus

3. it just like a few months ago desert hairy was the scorpion of choice.;)

4. Kathy

Kathy Arachnoangel Old Timer

Maybe because I showed up and started populating everyone's home with them and asking a lot of annoying questions! :p

5. i wouldn't say annoying{D

but who doesn't like free scorpions!

6. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Nah, I actually think it was me.

When some dude asked which he should get and I recommended C.Vittatus
    I started recommending them like crazy then people got them then they asked questions then it went on.

7. Kathy

NO, Aztec. It was ME...... ;P

8. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Okay okay...:8o

9. i think i may have been that dude;)

10. Kathy

It was all Tom's fault. :razz:

11. Nungunugu

Nungunugu Arachnosquire

Out of the 12 Centruroides species I keep. The biggest is C.nigrescens.
    Small ones are C.arctimanus, C.meisei,...
    The biggest non Centuroid could be R.junceus or B.gigas. I don't know any bigger ones.

12. alexi

alexi Arachnobaron

isn't it an H. longimanus that has the record for longest? And isn't P. Imp. usually cited as the biggest in terms of mass? Or are tropical scorps excluded here?

13. Anthony Straus

Anthony Straus Arachnobaron

They are not bark scorpions though, the OP was referring specifically to bark scorps.

14. alexi

alexi Arachnobaron

ok well not trying to start another rant about how common names are bad/useless etc, but I thought only centruroides species were considered bark scorpions. But no matter that's why common names are bad. :?

should have figured out that's not the case from the op but oh well sorry.

15. reverendsterlin

reverendsterlin Arachnoprince Old Timer

My colony has been as high as 180, but I generally keep it about 120. This is in a 29 gallon tank, the density is high but with several large 'holey' rocks there are plenty of places to hide. That said many of them just spend their time crawling around and over each other.

16. Anthony Straus

No need to apologize, re-reading my response to you made it sound like I was being a dick...that was not my intention, I am sorry.

17. Anthony Straus

Got any pics of your set up Reverendsterlin? I would love to see it.

18. Well, in this instance there was no substitute available for the "common name" like there is when refering directly to a distinct animal species. Bark scorpions are defined as Centruroides, Babycurus, Lychas, Tityus, etc. They are usually Buthids and are usually aboreal, they do have varying potencies.
    Thanks to all of whom that responded, I'm sure your information will prove valuable to many and I find it very interesting!
    TBH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.