Centroides vittatus in its natural habitat

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have spent much time in the Dallas area, and plan on moving there (lewisville/Kellar/Irving). I never seen scorps kickin around, cant wait till I do! (never even seen a spider down there.)

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have spent much time in the Dallas area, and plan on moving there (lewisville/Kellar/Irving). I never seen scorps kickin around, cant wait till I do! (never even seen a spider down there.)
I dont know much about the Dallas area. Where I live is a whole different world. My ranch is 375-400 miles West of Dallas.

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not even close. I have been stung several times, and all it causes is a bruise.

Our Yorkie got stung last year, and she just swelled up a bit. The only one with a bad reaction is my dad, it puts him in the hospital. Though, I think he was stung by a C gracilis not vittatus.
C. vittatus cant always be described as "not potent" if its capable of putting your father in the hospital. In fact, there are some scorpiologists that say vittatus venom is just as potent as C. exilicauda/sculpturatus. In other words, if it can put an adult man in the hospital, it would have no problem putting a infant or senior in the hospital. And it couldnt be C. gracilis that stung him, theyre native to S. America and small populations in Florida. :)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah I lived in Cedar Hill near Dallas and the little guys would get into our house all the time. The bad thing was they were the color of our carpet...{D {D {D Just a bruise my butt! That thing hurt and my toe swelled up to the size of rhode island. Other than a painful sting they are pretty much harmless ;P

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah I lived in Cedar Hill near Dallas and the little guys would get into our house all the time. The bad thing was they were the color of our carpet...{D {D {D Just a bruise my butt! That thing hurt and my toe swelled up to the size of rhode island. Other than a painful sting they are pretty much harmless ;P
they just make me itch a little

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are not escapees. Those are wild scorpions who have found their way into my house. Centroides vittatus is a native species, and we find them all over the place.
We should have gone on the archnocon field trips at your house sky{D {D {D {D j/k Had lots of fun thanks for taking the time to set up the trips, and don't worry from one Texan to another your driving is just fine.....

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as keeping goes, are the pinchers anything to worry about?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as keeping goes, are the pinchers anything to worry about?
Odd, I seen this somewhere before. No their pinchers give a very weak squeeze if any at all but if they get ahold of your foicles or a fold of skin, they can cling pretty tight and one doesn't want to injure them in such instances.

I have even run my fingertips over the claws of dead specimens and they offer a great deal of purchase.