1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Central California Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by GQ., Oct 8, 2007.

1. GQ.

GQ. Arachnodemon Old Timer

Advertisement
    I happened to be out Central California a couple weeks last month. I took the opportunity to look for some tarantulas.

South East of Salinas
    Roadside Habitat
    [​IMG]

I stopped the car at the above pull over and found this little juvenile in less than 30 seconds.
    Aphonopelma sp. juvenile returning to burrow
    [​IMG]

The below adult was found maybe 20 miles away from the above tarantula. I found several in this area, but this is the only one that I photographed. The sun was high and bright and the entire roadside had been burnt of vegetation. It is a horrible photo, but the only one I have. I spent only ten or fifteen minutes in the area as I was on the way to the airport and didn't want to miss my plane.
    Aphonopelma sp. adult - This is probably the skinniest tarantula I have ever found.
    [​IMG]

2. GQ.

GQ. Arachnodemon Old Timer

The week before the above photos I happened to find myself outside of Oakland. I took a drive the first night to find nothing. The weather was cold and windy and I gave up when the temperature dropped significantly. The next day the temperatures were great so I took another drive. I soon found several mature wandering males.
    Aphonopelma sp. mature male
    [​IMG]

I then hit the field in search of burrows. I soon found the below female in a well hidden burrow.
    Aphonopelma sp. mature female
    [​IMG]

3. What

What Arachnoprince

The second tarantula in the first post seems to be a type of Aphonolopelma 'eutylenum' complex.

4. arachnocat

arachnocat Arachnoangel Old Timer

That light colored female is beautiful! I live in Santa Rosa. I may have to take a trip there soon to see what I can find. I would love to see T's in their natural habitat :)

5. dtknow

dtknow Arachnoking Old Timer

CA
    Collecting any of those for Brent?

6. Brent H.

Brent H. Arachnosquire Old Timer

Yep, Gilbert has been very good to me! :D

7. Zach Valois

Zach Valois Arachnoknight Old Timer

hey great stuff Gil,
    looks a hell of alot like A. iodius.

8. ChrisNCT

ChrisNCT ChrisinTennessee Arachnosupporter

Nice pics Gilbert~!

I wish I lived in an area with T's , Scorps and pedes! I'd be busy every weekend collecting and taking pics.

9. tin man

tin man Arachnobaron Old Timer

I've always wanted to live in an area, where I can go in my back yard and find a bunch of wild tarantulas. Instead I find bears and moose, which is still pretty cool

10. Eclipse

Eclipse Arachnobaron Old Timer

hey I've been here too! When I was there, I seen a hawk wasp dragging a T across the pavement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.