Central California Tarantulas

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I happened to be out Central California a couple weeks last month. I took the opportunity to look for some tarantulas.

South East of Salinas
Roadside Habitat

I stopped the car at the above pull over and found this little juvenile in less than 30 seconds.
Aphonopelma sp. juvenile returning to burrow

The below adult was found maybe 20 miles away from the above tarantula. I found several in this area, but this is the only one that I photographed. The sun was high and bright and the entire roadside had been burnt of vegetation. It is a horrible photo, but the only one I have. I spent only ten or fifteen minutes in the area as I was on the way to the airport and didn't want to miss my plane.
Aphonopelma sp. adult - This is probably the skinniest tarantula I have ever found.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The week before the above photos I happened to find myself outside of Oakland. I took a drive the first night to find nothing. The weather was cold and windy and I gave up when the temperature dropped significantly. The next day the temperatures were great so I took another drive. I soon found several mature wandering males.
Aphonopelma sp. mature male

I then hit the field in search of burrows. I soon found the below female in a well hidden burrow.
Aphonopelma sp. mature female

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The second tarantula in the first post seems to be a type of Aphonolopelma 'eutylenum' complex.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That light colored female is beautiful! I live in Santa Rosa. I may have to take a trip there soon to see what I can find. I would love to see T's in their natural habitat :)

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Nice pics Gilbert~!

I wish I lived in an area with T's , Scorps and pedes! I'd be busy every weekend collecting and taking pics.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always wanted to live in an area, where I can go in my back yard and find a bunch of wild tarantulas. Instead I find bears and moose, which is still pretty cool

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey I've been here too! When I was there, I seen a hawk wasp dragging a T across the pavement.