Central American Trapdoor Tarantula?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I was browsing through YouTube and a new video from BBC Earth titled "Trapdoor Spider Seizes Insect". It is from their newest documentary "The Dark: Nature's Nighttime World" apparently. While the video played I couldn't help but to see that it is tarantula-like and not what one would typically think of as a trapdoor spider. From the BBC Two website on the same clip, the caption for the video states it was shot in a Central American forest. I'm not aware of any tarantulas in Central America that builds a trapdoor. The closest would be a species from the family Barychelidae, but the spider in the video clear stridulates when disturbed. I'm not sure that barychelids stridulate, but they do build trapdoors. o_O

So what do you all think, is this a tarantula (Theraphosidae) or brush footed spider (Barychelidae)?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I think you're right that this is Barychelidae.
This paper: Raven, R. J. (1994). Mygalomorph spiders of the Barychelidae in Australia and the western Pacific. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 35: 291-706.
says Barychelidae can stridulate, but that the sound it isn't audible to humans. That was published in 1994, and I wouldn't be surprised if the audibility of this family's stridulation was not completely known at that time.
Seeing videos like this make me so jealous of the people in the field. And not that I like the idea of poaching tropical forest species, but looking at that spider: I want one!

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
There are other families other than Barychelidae which some species can build trapdoors, I'm not familiar with them so I don't know about stridulation nor distribution in Central America so, I'm helping a lot in here. 😂

Either way, I going with Barychelidae in the video too, just mentioned the other families cause maybe you get interested to look up, like Nemesiidae or Idiopidae (and others too), for example.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I was browsing through YouTube and a new video from BBC Earth titled "Trapdoor Spider Seizes Insect". It is from their newest documentary "The Dark: Nature's Nighttime World" apparently. While the video played I couldn't help but to see that it is tarantula-like and not what one would typically think of as a trapdoor spider. From the BBC Two website on the same clip, the caption for the video states it was shot in a Central American forest. I'm not aware of any tarantulas in Central America that builds a trapdoor. The closest would be a species from the family Barychelidae, but the spider in the video clear stridulates when disturbed. I'm not sure that barychelids stridulate, but they do build trapdoors. o_O

So what do you all think, is this a tarantula (Theraphosidae) or brush footed spider (Barychelidae)?

From my limited experience my Idiommata sp. Silverback, they are capable of stridulation. Its not anything loud, but they definitely can

[Edit]
Video finally loaded, thats absolutely a Barychelid of some kind, given its location possibly a new species too. Ill upload some photos of mine shortly for comparison

Last edited: