Centipedes with isopods!

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Somehow a wild garden centipede got into my A. peraccae culture and had a bunch of babies, they don't seem like a threat to the adults but could they hurt the young? they are really fast and I don't know how to get them out without harming my isopods. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I would pull as many isopod adults out as you can *carefully* (i.e. without accidentally catching a baby centipede) and start a second isopod colony. I suspect once the centipedes take hold you have a new centipede colony instead (which is pretty cool, too). Some species of centipede really, really like eating isopods.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I would pull as many isopod adults out as you can *carefully* (i.e. without accidentally catching a baby centipede) and start a second isopod colony. I suspect once the centipedes take hold you have a new centipede colony instead (which is pretty cool, too). Some species of centipede really, really like eating isopods.
100% agree with this. I would bet you'll end up with only centipedes in that bin if more than one got in.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
100% agree with this. I would bet you'll end up with only centipedes in that bin if more than one got in.
Well... I’m pretty sure only one female and her brood got in so further down the road they may start in breeding. I am also not completely sure I want to donate all of my young to centipedes, as this may send out a message to all of the wild predators out there that my isopods are free for the taking. But I guess I could try, I would much prefer to just get rid of the centipedes though.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
If its the type of centipede I'm thinking of, tiny small?, then they're parthenogenetic.They'll keep reproducing as long as there's a female.
I'd go with what StampFan suggested and remove/temporarily relocate all the isopods you can, freeze the substrate, defrost, and then add the isopods back in to munch* on dead centipedes.

Last edited: