Centipedes or millipedes - what do you prefer and why?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
SDCPs has some well started Acladocricus for sell right now!

newbie0211

Arachnopeon
I'd rather go for a centipede,especially Scolopendra sp... They are absolutely stunning creatures IMO, but you should gain some experience before acquiring one.If you are used to OW T's, and you're equipped with an ESCAPE PROOF enclosure, you're unlikely to get some surprises ... Just remember, NEVER EVER handle them in ANY circumstances :)

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I haven't owned any centipedes before, and I don't think I'm quite ready to own one yet.
So I have to go for millipedes, at least for now.
Maybe some day when I'm ready and more prepared for a centipede and I do get one, they'll win me over.
But millipedes are, for the most part, harmless.
They're very easy to care for.
It can be a bit upsetting when they die off for seemingly no reason, as mentioned. Sometimes I have millipedes that seem to do great, but then there are some that just don't do well at all.
Within the same species.

I can say that the two species I do have right now are breeding well at least!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I would choose a millipede simply because I could handle it. Centipedes are so fast which makes me feel uneasy.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I handle my centipedes all the time, but that's just me :p
Centipedes only run fast when they're aggrovated. My pedes generally walk in a slow, deliberate manner, before stopping to groom or curl up and sleep.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Centipedes. It's so fascinating to watch them, especially when they tackle a roach. I just got my first centipede, a scolopendra polymorpha today!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
S polymorpha is the only species I have experience with. They are so hardy and fun.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
My favourite has to be Ethmostigmus rubripes. Very big, bulky, and a huge amount of colour forms. Morsitans is good too, just a little small.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Millipedes - easy to care for, harmless, can be handled, they're cute little things aight.
Centipedes - they're very smart and dangerous mofos, I love watching them from a safe distance but wouldn't want to own a large one. Especially since they seem to plot their escape in their spare time. They're like evil geniuses and millipedes are like friendly grandmas. :happy:

I love both but when it comes to keeping I prefer the safer critters. I have a lot of respect for the people that manage to handle centipedes safely, I'd be too nervous for that.

Edit: Just remembered this comic :d

Last edited:

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
Centipedes hands down. Such explosive kills! Imagine if they were a meter long! They would be hunting us hahaha.