Centipedes or millipedes - what do you prefer and why?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Just a little fun thread here. I'm curious as to which of our many legged buddies appeals to each and every one of you the most.
Personally, I prefer centipedes. They are bigger (usually), cooler, smarter, and come in an awesome variety of colours. Again, that's just my opinion. Tell me what you think!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I feel that both have equal--though very different--appeal.

I enjoy millipedes for their variety of colors, sizes, and patterns, the hypnotic wave movements of their legs, the fact that they are very simple to care for, and that many species can be handled very easily, with the worst consequence being that they might stain your hands if you aren't careful. There are also some very unusual millipedes...like the bioluminescent ones. Many species can be kept communally.

I thinks centipedes are fascinating too, for their speed, amazing predatory behavior, and apparent cleverness. There also feature a good variety in color, size, and pattern.

They're both amazing creatures that I appreciate...but I don't prefer one over the other.

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Millipedes! They are easy to care for and easy to breed. They are gentle pets that can be handled without concern to the owner/ parent. Plus they have cute faces!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Probably millipedes if I had to choose. Very diverse and easy to care for and they aren't always trying to escape lol. I don't have as much experience keeping centipedes though, so I'm sure with more experience I'd enjoy those plenty too!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I prefer the predator aspects of centipedes, would be nice if there were more variety in the US at a reasonable price (red and yellow have long lost their attraction to me, just about every centipede available here is the same color save for the occasional E. trigonopudus or something), but there are some really cool looking millipedes out there and a few giant ones.

Last edited:

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Definitely millipedes, because they aren't evil incarnate ;)

I like how chill and harmless they are. It's like a bit of a relaxing break from things that like to dart around or lunge unpredictably, like my S. viridis who I'm convinced would love to murder me in my sleep.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Definitely millipedes, because they aren't evil incarnate ;)
They aren't so bad, they only love to prank you a little... just like when at dawn, once, my S.subspinipes awaken me due to his/her "head sound" made from trying to 'papillon' the enclosure but that's all :shifty:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Except when jumps out a "Milhouse is injured" thread :-s
Sounded like they were genuinely upset about what happened, clouded mind from opiates (I hate them but they have their place), and won't let it happen again.

Besides, the quote you quoted said without concern to the human, which is correct, nothing about concern for the invert :p

But I'll take issue with the "can be handled without concern for the person" as some millipedes can secrete toxins that can cause skin irritation and vision problems if rubbed in the eyes ;) Always wash your hands afterwards and don't touch your face or sensitive areas until you do.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Also centipedes keep you on your toes. Relaxing watching TV and seeing a 12" pede walking around on the floor in front of you gives you Neo like powers. Before I'd even got off the settee I knew I had a bucket in the kitchen. In a flash I had the pede caught.

A millipede wouldn't have given me those powers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also centipedes keep you on your toes. Relaxing watching TV and seeing a 12" pede walking around on the floor in front of you gives you Neo like powers. Before I'd even got off the settee I knew I had a bucket in the kitchen. In a flash I had the pede caught.

A millipede wouldn't have given me those powers.
Bravo, bravo! :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Bravo, bravo! :)
Still bugs me. It'd been in the same 145lt RUB for months and months. Then suddenly it'd made it's way out of the RUB, out of the animal room, downstairs and into my front room. I was stupidly lucky.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
A millipede wouldn't have given me those powers.[/QUOTE] Bahahaha!!:wacky:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Still bugs me. It'd been in the same 145lt RUB for months and months. Then suddenly it'd made it's way out of the RUB, out of the animal room, downstairs and into my front room. I was stupidly lucky.
I can only imagine the adrenaline surge when you saw that unexpected visitor lol. Did it chew an escape hole or something? I had a S. subspinipes long ago, made it hard for me to sleep with it in my bedroom lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can only imagine the adrenaline surge when you saw that unexpected visitor lol. Did it chew an escape hole or something? I had a S. subspinipes long ago, made it hard for me to sleep with it in my bedroom lol
No. There was a gap around under the lid. But I'd watched it for months and no matter how hard it tried or pushed it couldn't get out. It couldn't push itself through. Well it did somehow manage to in the end. I've got a video of it trying. I'll find it and post it up.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
centipedes, theyre very colorful and i like the predator aspect of them. plus, millipedes are illegal here anyway.. :/

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Cool vids. Geez, watching the antennae get through and the way it was trying to force it's head in would've made me too paranoid to use that enclosure without modifying/changing :wideyed: So lucky it decided to bask in its escape glory by visiting you afterwards lol. That wouldn't been a horrible feeling to unexpectedly find it missing.

Awesome looking pede though, pretty darn big, I almost ordered a hispaniola around a month ago. My invert room needs a pede, always wanted a heros, but I always find something else to buy instead.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Millipedes -- they are cute and non-venomous. :cat: Most centipedes creep me out! :eek: