centipedes killing roaches

venybeny

Arachnopeon
Ok, so I'm new to these boards. I recently moved to a New York City apartment that's like FULL of roaches and no matter what I try I can't kill them and my landlord doesn't want to hire an exterminator. So I've been doing research and found out that centipedes will like totally kill all the roaches in my apartment. So ever since I learned that I'm totally in love with centipedes. Now, the question is what kind do I need and where do you buy these babies? Can anyone please help. I would be forever greatful.

P.S. How many roaches can one centipede eat?

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A centipede can eat TONS of roaches in a lifetime, but do you really want an impredictible, large, agressive and venomous invertebrate lose in your appartment?!?!

The chances are also that if you let loose a centipede somewhere in there, it will die from dehydration before it hurts any roaches, or any people, actually...

Please just dont do that.

phil.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dude, no. You need geckos! Mediterranean geckos, that's what I would try. I have them in my house. They take care of that kind of thing. Sometimes they mooch and sneak into my roach or cricket tub, which ever I have going at the time. I've never used pesticides here in 11 years.... no roaches. Well, maybe one or two a year but that's only because I got to them before the spiders and geckos in my house did.

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why not just invest in a can or two of

or keep the roaches as pets, thats what I do.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I live in Canada, and roaches arent a big problem here (it's usually fire ants or small termites) When you guys talk about roaches, do you mean big-ass cockroaches? A buddy of mine had a bit of an ant problem, and he got a pair of bearded dragons and set them loose. Not only did they clean up the ants, they had babies too!! Would a bearded dragon consume roaches as well? It seems reasonable to me:?

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, you just never know what people will be talking about on here.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A centipede can eat TONS of roaches in a lifetime, but do you really want an impredictible, large, agressive and venomous invertebrate lose in your appartment?!?!

The chances are also that if you let loose a centipede somewhere in there, it will die from dehydration before it hurts any roaches, or any people, actually...

Please just dont do that.

phil.
Probably thinking about Scutigera. Most likely S. coleoptrata.

The geckos might be worth a try. One problem is someone else in the complex will probably spray. The poisoned roaches could flee to your apartment and kill the geckos. Still worth a try. I had success with a tokay once for while.

venybeny

Arachnopeon
thank you for great ideas

Thank you all for the really good ideas. {D I completely wasn't thinking about geckos because this is NY so wouldn't it be too cold for them.
I have been using Raid (or other nasty stuff:eek: ) but they stink real bad and I have a small dog so I'm tottaly afraid I'm gonna poison him also. I was more thinking about house centipedes because they are real small and kinda cute. Also, I haven't really thought about it but if my roaches have been eating poison and they aint dying, could that kill the centipede when it eats them?:confused:

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I may be a nub to centis but I have learned not to feed my bugs if the bugs they are eating are WC, they might have harmful pesticides they have digested which your bugs might get if you feed them.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it works and at least we can catch Ts and scolopendrids in our back yards lol
hahaha Perhaps you've never heard of the Canadian badger, or the wolverine. If you want to compare hardcore creatures, invert or vert, dont "at least" me on your seemingly nasty and popular exotics. Come up here to my back yard and try to catch some of the neat and homocidal mammals that inhabit the foothills about 15 feet from my back door(that doesnt include the beer drinking rednecks). Bearing in mind I'm just starting into Scolopendra, your local species dont impress me anyways. I like my bugs, but it isn't that hardcore. Take your terminix and go fly a kite.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hahaha Perhaps you've never heard of the Canadian badger, or the wolverine. If you want to compare hardcore creatures, invert or vert, dont "at least" me on your seemingly nasty and popular exotics. Come up here to my back yard and try to catch some of the neat and homocidal mammals that inhabit the foothills about 15 feet from my back door(that doesnt include the beer drinking rednecks). Bearing in mind I'm just starting into Scolopendra, your local species dont impress me anyways. I like my bugs, but it isn't that hardcore. Take your terminix and go fly a kite.
get a life and back off me and all Texans before we invade canaduh

on second thought , we dont want a place that far north lol

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL, that was amusing but rather uncreative and entirely ludicrous. If you read the initial comment I'd made, the poke was at the manufacturer of a poison, not at Texans. I have found Texas to be one of the better US states I have visited, the beef there is excellent!. Getting back to the topic at hand, venybeny: You should consider attempting a solution that doesnt involve chemicals first, like the bearded dragons or some other carnivorous lizard. I've only read stories on the internet on the severity of roach infestations, again they arent that common here in Alberta(though there are a few species of large, hard bodied beetles). Are you talking hundreds of roaches? Thousands? I've also heard that many species of roach are becoming resistant to the usual chemical pesticides, and I would suspect the roaches indoors over many generations and repeated exposure have gained some immunity. They are indeed shockingly tough critters!!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Texas also has the Javalina aka White Lipped Peccary. Not really known for its calm disposition. Have you so little to do that you are picking a fight based on native fauna?

To the OP: I have heard of tokay geckos being used as roach control. Probably a better choice than a Scolopendrid. A tokay will bite but at least its not venemous.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LOL, that was amusing but rather uncreative and entirely ludicrous. If you read the initial comment I'd made, the poke was at the manufacturer of a poison, not at Texans. I have found Texas to be one of the better US states I have visited, the beef there is excellent!. Getting back to the topic at hand, venybeny: You should consider attempting a solution that doesnt involve chemicals first, like the bearded dragons or some other carnivorous lizard. I've only read stories on the internet on the severity of roach infestations, again they arent that common here in Alberta(though there are a few species of large, hard bodied beetles). Are you talking hundreds of roaches? Thousands? I've also heard that many species of roach are becoming resistant to the usual chemical pesticides, and I would suspect the roaches indoors over many generations and repeated exposure have gained some immunity. They are indeed shockingly tough critters!!
yep i agree there, roaches that you want to kill dont want to die lol the ones you want to keep a live tend to die pretty good lol. but im not too keen on using a predator for roach control because i tend to like the predators much better and you never know what kind of parasites or chemicals they have been exposed to. I would try diatomacious earth and borax together and see what happens. it will probably take a good while to make a big differance tho.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Texas also has the Javalina aka White Lipped Peccary. Not really known for its calm disposition. Have you so little to do that you are picking a fight based on native fauna?

To the OP: I have heard of tokay geckos being used as roach control. Probably a better choice than a Scolopendrid. A tokay will bite but at least its not venemous.
i dont know what all kinds of ill tempered critters are in Texas lol but ... skunks are probably my least favorite lol
i am partial to the eagles and hawks

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We may vary on what constitutes picking a fight, Hedorah99. This is Drachenjager and I doing a little posturing and asserting ourselves, which is pretty normal around here from what I've seen. Picking a fight, in my experience usually involves fists, various blunt objects, sharp things, and some of the neat machines of war humans have ingeniously (albeit maliciously) constructed. On topic- Aren't roaches also problematic in that they hide inside walls and crevices etc? It would explain the predisposition towards using pesticides because it's a "fire and forget" solution. I've seen wild roaches on Vancouver Island, I'm not sure if they're native to the place. They're ridiculously fast, well armored and quick breeding. All the endearing aspects of good roaches, lol. My little brother dropped a 3 pound rock on one from about 36 inches up (I'm eccentric, for a Canadian because I cant stand the metric system), and the darned thing still scuttled away at a good rate of speed. It seems to be a bit of a catch 22 with chemical vs predatory methods of roach control, as I'm sure neither can garuntee that they wont return, even if all of them were killed off. Jokingly, maybe you should try to negotiate with them. Pay them to leave?:?