centipedelings

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
so, the l. forficatus which i collected from my patio a few months ago has given birth!
is it likely to eat all its young? are the young likely to eat each other??
i am currently dumping in lateralis hatchings, and they seem to be getting eaten, or maybe they just hide well!
anyways, suggestions would be great.

thanks! :D
- munis

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
for stone centipedes i use prekilled.

get ready for an insanely long wait, by the way ;)

i had a year old stone centipede pedeling that was just over a centimeter long.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think they'll eat each other if they're well fed... I'have had some of those little guys breeding and i've never thought of separating them and they grew slowly but surely :).

phil.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
mmm... yeah.. i might just release them back into the garden in the spring! ;)

cheers! :D
- munis

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, the thing is everyone seems to think they have L. forficatus... but there are something like 1500-2000 species of stoners and a goodly portion of them will conspecific cannibalise

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
collected in toronto, canada... i suspect we have significantly reduced diversity up here! :D - munis

p.s. i don't suspect there would exist some sort of identification key for these guys, would there?

well, the thing is everyone seems to think they have L. forficatus... but there are something like 1500-2000 species of stoners and a goodly portion of them will conspecific cannibalise

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
step 1) go get a microscope =P

you are right though, canada should have not a truly hideous amount of species... if it was in california, where i live, i wouldn't bother.... but you might actually have a chance.

i would say finding out how many species are in your area would be a good first step