Centipede vs. Hopper (graphic)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So if you have any crappy comments about this please dont even reply. Mice are prey items just like anything else and in the wild large centipedes eat them, thats just how it is. So... the guy i purchased my pede from said he was feeding his large centipedes hopper mice, so i figured what the hell ill try it, im sure an occasional mouse would be full of nutrition! So i was going to drop the mouse in with the pede then video what happened, but it all happened way too fast. The mouse tried to push dirt in the centipedes face and in an instant the pede came down on the mouse, stretched it out so it was defensless then started biting it. After the initial bite from the centipede the mouse was dead within 5 seconds or so. After 15 minutes the bottom picture shows what was left of the mouse. I plan on feeding mice again, but just occasionally as some added nutrition, but maybe next time i will feed pinkies instead of hoppers.

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yea, and before anybody comments on the substrate i placed the centipede in a seperate enclosure for feeding it this mouse, and thats the substrate i used in that specific container for the feeding. The centipede is housed on peat/coco fiber/vermiculite at about 4".

Also, the size of this pede is 8.5" from head to last tergite, and close to 3/4" diameter, its a biggin!

Last edited:

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It shouldn't need to eat for a while after that, I'd say at least a month, maybe more, obviously wasn't hungry enough to finish it.

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
EXCELLENT! i like the pics althought i would've like to seen the video. Next time video it for us. There is not enough videos out there.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It shouldn't need to eat for a while after that, I'd say at least a month, maybe more, obviously wasn't hungry enough to finish it.
Yes, that's true.

Next time shammer, maybe try using prekilled, it'll save you a lot of trouble with your pede.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok i will wait at least a month before i feed it again. I was trying to get this on video but the only thing i have is my cameras video and i need more lighting and stuff to get the video to look good. Also it happened so damn fast i couldnt even get the camera function working in time! But next time ill get everything setup in advance so that i can video it for yall ;).

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i had a similar scene at my house on tuesday...

[YOUTUBE]RoXfYvoUsxg[/YOUTUBE]

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i had a similar scene at my house on tuesday...
What camera do you have? That's some of the best detail I've seen in a youtube video, being able to clearly see the ocilli and all, and I imagine it's compressed a lot from the original. Very good video.

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol i just got done watchiing your video on youtube. Awesome how that thing just grabbed the mouse with lightning speed. That was excellent. Post some more feeding videos on youtube when you get some. I liked this video better than the ones with the Giant cents

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NICE!! :clap: I had some similar experiences feeding my dearly departed S. subspinipes and giant Indian mantis some pinky mice. I can't wait until my current pedes are big enough to feed vertibrates.

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
someone should make a thread where everyone posts they feeding videos.

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice! The other day I was curious to feed one of my larger T's a pre-killed small mice first and see how good she would like the treat. I didn't want to feed frozen ones..but i also didn't want to take any risks, so i pre killed a warm one from the petshop and offered it to my king baboon in front of her burrow. After she came out she started eating anxiously, but at the end of the day i noticed most of the mice's body had not been eaten, and it had left the abandoned corpse mutilated and a big mess left for me to clean. So after this experience i'll probably not even bother in offering any mice anymore, not because it's "immoral" and whatnots...because mice ARE food, but because they really don't finish it unless the T is starving badly, and since they're not that hungry it's a waste of food, money and time cleaning up the remains:wall:

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
man thats cool. I know nothing about centipedes, not even that they eat mice! sweet, sweeet.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What camera do you have? That's some of the best detail I've seen in a youtube video, being able to clearly see the ocilli and all, and I imagine it's compressed a lot from the original. Very good video.
that *is* good!

i am interested in what format you upload in. also i have tried mov and it pooches up my sound timing and i have tried wmv and it works ok, but loses detail no matter what resolution i upload. youtube says to use mpeg4 at a certain res, so i am curious if that is what is going on here

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
glad you guys like the video. the camera is a sony handycam model dcr-hc26 mini dv camera. it's my friends, it's pretty nice.

the format i upload is .mov file, with a medium-to-high quality h.264 compressor. the filesize usually ranges from 8-30mb. i've heard that often times, if there is silence at the beginning of your video, it'll muck up the imagery-sound synch. that sort of seems to be correct, but it's not a concrete fact.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine loved pinkys...it seemed like a good change from crickets all the time...and its cleaner than cricket parts

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I once had to baby sit IHeartMantids' centipede, much to my mother's dismay ;). I am amazed by the ferocity of these creatures. And mice make good feeders, but gerbils tend to be cleaner and smell slightly less... Great footage. I am especially squemish and barely made it past the first picture. A+

antman

Arachnopeon
So if you have any crappy comments about this please dont even reply. Mice are prey items just like anything else and in the wild large centipedes eat them, thats just how it is. So... the guy i purchased my pede from said he was feeding his large centipedes hopper mice, so i figured what the hell ill try it, im sure an occasional mouse would be full of nutrition! So i was going to drop the mouse in with the pede then video what happened, but it all happened way too fast. The mouse tried to push dirt in the centipedes face and in an instant the pede came down on the mouse, stretched it out so it was defensless then started biting it. After the initial bite from the centipede the mouse was dead within 5 seconds or so. After 15 minutes the bottom picture shows what was left of the mouse. I plan on feeding mice again, but just occasionally as some added nutrition, but maybe next time i will feed pinkies instead of hoppers.
Mice are prey in the wild but you didn't have to put a pic on of the severed mouse head. Next time try a wild mouse and not a pet store mouse. Mybe it will give it a fighting chance.