Centipede restless

centipede boy

Arachnopeon
I just got my first centipede yesterday (scolopendra subspinipes) he’s about 5-6 inches and for the first day he just stayed underground all day but today he came out and has just been running like a mad man for hours, I tried feeding him and he ate, and then just kept running. I tried adding more humidity and he’s still just running and running and trying to climb the glass it’s been like 3 hours and every time I look for threads similar to my situation I just see “my centipede was restless and two day later he’s dead, what happened?” So is something wrong or is this just normal and I’m being paranoid,

Conor10

Arachnoknight
He should be fine, they tend to magically turn into arboreals when they are rehoused.

centipede boy

Arachnopeon
He has like 3 to 4 inches of substrate, thanks for the help and putting my mind at ease, I tend to freak out when any pet does anything weird and then I do tons of research.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
You're going to kill it in that enclosure. The tall walls, lack of low level ventilation and ridiculously high humidity will cause a build up of stale air, leading to mycosis.

That could very well be why it's running around like crazy trying to escape - it's literally a death trap.

My advice would be to replace half the substrate with dry stuff, or throw another inch or two of very dry substrate on top to balance it out. Also put ventilation holes close to substrate level, and don't let it get this wet again.

centipede boy

Arachnopeon
You're going to kill it in that enclosure. The tall walls, lack of low level ventilation and ridiculously high humidity will cause a build up of stale air, leading to mycosis.

That could very well be why it's running around like crazy trying to escape - it's literally a death trap.

My advice would be to replace half the substrate with dry stuff, or throw another inch or two of very dry substrate on top to balance it out. Also put ventilation holes close to substrate level, and don't let it get this wet again.
Wow, Thanks! I had no idea, I never found much info on ventilation and just usumed they liked it with less considering there underground lifestyle. I’m gonna get to that right away!