Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Centipede ID?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Mordax8393, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Mordax8393

Mordax8393 Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    Advertisement
    I was sold this centipede as "Scolopendra subspinnipes" by Darien's Tarantulas and More. I have decided to name him James. I have a few questions:

What substrate should I use? I currently have it in my California Kingsnake's enclosure which is sand with small plants. (Don't worry, I moved the snake out, the centipede was hostile towards him).

How is the venom of this species?

Should I feed it mice? The seller said he should get 2-3 a week.

Do you think it is wild caught? It is missing a leg.

It cost USD 55, did I get ripped off?

Thank you

Attached Files:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. kermitdsk

kermitdsk Arachnosquire

Good deal it's Scolopendra hardwickei witch are much more expensive ;)
    They don't need mice and if you want to feed mice use frozen ones.
    Substrate looks not too bad hardwickei are from India they like it dryer but there are also rain seasons in India.

3. Mordax8393

USA
    Oh really? That's exciting to hear! What should I feed instead of mice, and how often?

4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Wow..

Are you trolling us?

If you are serious, you are best to find someone else to keep it. This species is very hard to keep. It is also a pede which is at threat of going extinct in the hobby. You really ought to rehome it so it can be bred and not die, because it very likely will.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. REEFSPIDER

REEFSPIDER Arachnobaron

Nice POLYMORPHA

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

troll hehe.

7. NYAN

CA
    Do you suspect this, or are you just commenting about the idea being funny?

8. Mordax8393

USA
    Ok think I got some of you guys, others were luckily not that gullible.

Anyway question from someone who has found this species 3x in the wild - Why does everyone say to keep it bone dry? I have found it twice in dry scrub and once in full on rainforest, so I think it should be able to survive a moist setup too? The picture I included is off the "desert phase" which is yellowish while most of the ones available in captivity are the bright orange "rainforest phase," meaning I feel they should survive in a humid setup, there are plenty of records of them existing in areas that average 300 inches of rain per year, and the soil is mud for 6-9 months.

9. NYAN

CA
    So, this isn’t real? Correct?

This is because in captivity we can not replicate the microclimates that would sustain a healthy pede in this type of habitat. You have factors like soil composition, ventilation, microfauma and more space and depth. A pede in captivity will get mycosis if kept that way.

10. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

I thought it was a troll because of the plants in the pic look seed grown, wild and there is no "Darien's Tarantulas and More" that I could find, ..hey I wanted one too! I think centipedes often go from moist to dry climates, changing it up a bit so I try to keep on side a little moist, where the hide is and the other end kind of dry with a screen top or open top if it's high enough and little kids are away. Seems to me most scolopendra do better that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NYAN

CA
    I noticsd both of these also. Also, why would anyone put a snake with a centipede?

Yes. This is another factor.

12. Mordax8393

USA
    Thanks guys. Good to post trolls once in a while to make sure everyone keeps their bs detectors on :)

13. Mordax8393

USA
    If anyone wants details on wild S. hardwickei/high quality white background pictures, pm me

14. REEFSPIDER

REEFSPIDER Arachnobaron

No lids is the true "bees knees" of scolopendra keeping imo, if it can be safely performed, it's the choice keeping method.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.