Centipede ID?

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
I was sold this centipede as "Scolopendra subspinnipes" by Darien's Tarantulas and More. I have decided to name him James. I have a few questions:

What substrate should I use? I currently have it in my California Kingsnake's enclosure which is sand with small plants. (Don't worry, I moved the snake out, the centipede was hostile towards him).

How is the venom of this species?

Should I feed it mice? The seller said he should get 2-3 a week.

Do you think it is wild caught? It is missing a leg.

It cost USD 55, did I get ripped off?

Thank you

Attachments

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
Good deal it's Scolopendra hardwickei witch are much more expensive ;)
They don't need mice and if you want to feed mice use frozen ones.
Substrate looks not too bad hardwickei are from India they like it dryer but there are also rain seasons in India.

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Oh really? That's exciting to hear! What should I feed instead of mice, and how often?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Wow..

Are you trolling us?

If you are serious, you are best to find someone else to keep it. This species is very hard to keep. It is also a pede which is at threat of going extinct in the hobby. You really ought to rehome it so it can be bred and not die, because it very likely will.

Last edited:

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Ok think I got some of you guys, others were luckily not that gullible.

Anyway question from someone who has found this species 3x in the wild - Why does everyone say to keep it bone dry? I have found it twice in dry scrub and once in full on rainforest, so I think it should be able to survive a moist setup too? The picture I included is off the "desert phase" which is yellowish while most of the ones available in captivity are the bright orange "rainforest phase," meaning I feel they should survive in a humid setup, there are plenty of records of them existing in areas that average 300 inches of rain per year, and the soil is mud for 6-9 months.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Ok think I got some of you guys, others were luckily not that gullible.
So, this isn’t real? Correct?

Anyway question from someone who has found this species 3x in the wild - Why does everyone say to keep it bone dry? I have found it twice in dry scrub and once in full on rainforest, so I think it should be able to survive a moist setup too?
This is because in captivity we can not replicate the microclimates that would sustain a healthy pede in this type of habitat. You have factors like soil composition, ventilation, microfauma and more space and depth. A pede in captivity will get mycosis if kept that way.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought it was a troll because of the plants in the pic look seed grown, wild and there is no "Darien's Tarantulas and More" that I could find, ..hey I wanted one too! I think centipedes often go from moist to dry climates, changing it up a bit so I try to keep on side a little moist, where the hide is and the other end kind of dry with a screen top or open top if it's high enough and little kids are away. Seems to me most scolopendra do better that way.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I thought it was a troll because of the plants in the pic look seed grown, wild and there is no "Darien's Tarantulas and More" that I could find, ..hey I wanted one too!
I noticsd both of these also. Also, why would anyone put a snake with a centipede?

I think centipedes often go from moist to dry climates, changing it up a bit
Yes. This is another factor.

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys. Good to post trolls once in a while to make sure everyone keeps their bs detectors on :)

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
If anyone wants details on wild S. hardwickei/high quality white background pictures, pm me

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I thought it was a troll because of the plants in the pic look seed grown, wild and there is no "Darien's Tarantulas and More" that I could find, ..hey I wanted one too! I think centipedes often go from moist to dry climates, changing it up a bit so I try to keep on side a little moist, where the hide is and the other end kind of dry with a screen top or open top if it's high enough and little kids are away. Seems to me most scolopendra do better that way.
No lids is the true "bees knees" of scolopendra keeping imo, if it can be safely performed, it's the choice keeping method.