Centipede ID Request (and possible husbandry tips)

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
599959A7-9A09-4E3C-9B47-58E52D4A3F7C.jpeg 64446CA7-8265-4C72-B7F7-4EFE5A846D03.jpeg

Hey everyone! I found this fella (or lady?) in my hallway earlier. I tried looking for an ID on Google but I’d rather be certain.

I live in Chesapeake, Virginia USA. Found the centipede around 12:00 AM. This centipede is around 2”.

I’d love to keep him/her! If anyone has any husbandry notes for this species of centipede, it’d be deeply appreciated! (I already have several different jar sizes, EcoEarth, Topsoil with no fertilizers and such, cork bark, etc). What would I feed the little guy? Thanks for any and all advice and help! It’s greatly appreciated!

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Hemiscolopendra marginata. I have no experience with this sp. so hopefully someone else will be able to comment on care. Nice find!

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Hemiscolopendra marginata. I have no experience with this sp. so hopefully someone else will be able to comment on care. Nice find!
Thank you! I thought that maybe the sp but I wanted to make sure. Unfortunately I know nothing about centipedes. I eventually wanted to add some to my future collection but I’m still doing Tarantula research. I must say this sp sure is beautiful!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
H. marginata are very easy to care for. A fair amount of fairly moist substrate for burrowing and hiding spots are optional because this species hardly surfaces once they burrow. You can feed them pre-kill prey or live prey, but they don't eat as much as the typical centipede. They can do fine in a 16oz container for an enclosure. I had a few I found inside my basement that I kept, until I gave them up to someone else because they're quite reclusive like most centipedes, but they're very easy to care for and a cool small beginner centipede for those looking for smaller pedes.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
H. marginata are very easy to care for. A fair amount of fairly moist substrate for burrowing and hiding spots are optional because this species hardly surfaces once they burrow. You can feed them pre-kill prey or live prey, but they don't eat as much as the typical centipede. They can do fine in a 16oz container for an enclosure. I had a few I found inside my basement that I kept, until I gave them up to someone else because they're quite reclusive like most centipedes, but they're very easy to care for and a cool small beginner centipede for those looking for smaller pedes.
Thank you so much for the advice! I read your comment earlier and started working on setting up an enclosure. It’s about a 16 oz or so plastic jar (I used a pushpin & poked holes in the sides and top for ventilation). There’s about 3-4” of moist substrate, a couple pieces of small cork bark and some leaves. This may be a silly question but do they need a small water dish like T’s do? Or do they get their water fine from the dampened sub? I’m going to go pick up some crickets in a bit and offer some food tonight (or is there something better I should offer?)

Sorry for the questions and rambling. :) And thank you for your help!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Thank you so much for the advice! I read your comment earlier and started working on setting up an enclosure. It’s about a 16 oz or so plastic jar (I used a pushpin & poked holes in the sides and top for ventilation). There’s about 3-4” of moist substrate, a couple pieces of small cork bark and some leaves. This may be a silly question but do they need a small water dish like T’s do? Or do they get their water fine from the dampened sub? I’m going to go pick up some crickets in a bit and offer some food tonight (or is there something better I should offer?)

Sorry for the questions and rambling. :) And thank you for your help!
I always offer water dishes (small bottle caps), but I have never seen any drink when I had them. Feeding them isn't too hard, but they prefer the smaller side of prey. If they don't hunt prey then I usually just leave pre-kill prey for a day or two before I take them out.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
I always offer water dishes (small bottle caps), but I have never seen any drink when I had them. Feeding them isn't too hard, but they prefer the smaller side of prey. If they don't hunt prey then I usually just leave pre-kill prey for a day or two before I take them out.
Thank you! I put a small water bottle cap in there for it with fresh water. Pretty cool looking little dude! Can’t wait to get some “exotic” pedes one day!