Centipede I'd poss s polymorpha

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Hello a freind of mine who lives in Arizona sent me this pic. He cause it this morning in his bathroom and I was trying to id it. He lives 2 hrs out from Las Vegas and it is about 2 inches long. My first guese is s. polymorpha But it doesn't have the bands between the segments. Is this normal on smaller specimens or is this something else? Sorry not familiar with centipedes. Thanks for any help! Yes I know it posted in 2 places I did not see this section the first time and thought it would get more insight in the proper spot

Attachments

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Thanks! Their really isn't a whole lot of info on them out there. If you look for Arizona centipedes it only comes up with three types..house
S polymorpha and s hetros(sp?) I don't even see anything saying they have like normal little guys like we have around here haha.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Looks awful pale to be S. polymorpha unless freshly molted.
Pretty sure I've seen pale S.polymorpha before, don't remember where though. In any case, my guess is it's a light color morph of S.heros, hopefully Mastigoproctus will be able to correct or confirm that suspicion! :)

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Pretty sure I've seen pale S.polymorpha before, don't remember where though. In any case, my guess is it's a light color morph of S.heros, hopefully Mastigoproctus will be able to correct or confirm that suspicion! :)
Thank you for your help! Yea it's just bugging me I can't figuare it out. A freind goes out their frequently
On trips looking for stuff and he is bringing it back so I'm will get some better pics but would still like to
Try to
I'd it before then if possible

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Yep, yet another variation.
Of the poly? Or the later? Thanks for the help it is comming home with him I should have better pics soon that will help. Question to you guys. So does az really only have 2 species evolved of centipedes? I could only find infor on 2 and the house centipede vrs here in pa we have like ten all small

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The poly. Even within AZ alone I've seen a number of variations. Same goes for heros. There is also viridis(or was in H. marginata?) in AZ, but more northerly.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
The poly. Even within AZ alone I've seen a number of variations. Same goes for heros. There is also viridis(or was in H. marginata?) in AZ, but more northerly.
Once I get a hold of him any definitive ways to tell which one? Segments or anything like that? Sorry I know nothing about Pedes I know tarantulas and somewhat scorpions

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Visually from a glance? If in AZ the color variations of heros are rather distinct...run a search through bugguide for AZ and Scolopendra heros and then polymorpha and you'll see what I mean. I don't think I've seen a variant outside of those listed for heros in that state. Only from memory...I think there is a difference in the denticle shape, antennomere counts(numbers can overlap per species) and number/location of prefemoral spines(possible number overlap between species). You might try hunting down: A synopsis of the North American centipedes of the order Scolopendromorpha.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Visually from a glance? If in AZ the color variations of heros are rather distinct...run a search through bugguide for AZ and Scolopendra heros and then polymorpha and you'll see what I mean. I don't think I've seen a variant outside of those listed for heros in that state. Only from memory...I think there is a difference in the denticle shape, antennomere counts(numbers can overlap per species) and number/location of prefemoral spines(possible number overlap between species). You might try hunting down: A synopsis of the North American centipedes of the order Scolopendromorpha.
Thanks for your help!

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Perfect I found a Heros that looks just like it! Now apparently the eyes are also different so when I get it I'll check it out thanks again!

jseng

Arachnosquire
Orin discusses a few ways to differentiate heros and polys in his book (which is great, btw):

Only S. heros have toothed second maxillary palps, though they can be hard to actually see with the naked eye. A more clearly visible difference is that S. heros usually have 3-5 basal antennomeres, while polys have 7+. Poly antennomeres are also half the size of heros antennomeres, so polys tend to have shorter antennae overall.

I would almost guarantee that is a patternless poly, though your friend shouldn't be bummed bc those are pretty cool too! In fact, if he's interested in selling that specimen, tell him to gimme a holler :)

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Orin discusses a few ways to differentiate heros and polys in his book (which is great, btw):

Only S. heros have toothed second maxillary palps, though they can be hard to actually see with the naked eye. A more clearly visible difference is that S. heros usually have 3-5 basal antennomeres, while polys have 7+. Poly antennomeres are also half the size of heros antennomeres, so polys tend to have shorter antennae overall.

I would almost guarantee that is a patternless poly, though your friend shouldn't be bummed bc those are pretty cool too! In fact, if he's interested in selling that specimen, tell him to gimme a holler :)
Thank you very much! I will check it out in more detail when it gets here. He is actually trading me one of my scorps for it when it gets back as he is not a centipede guy neither am I but I am interested and I am not bummed lol

SDCPs

Arachnolord
That looks very similar to the S. Polymorpha I've caught in SoCal. Nice specimen!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer

Bah, I feel silly. The book is staring at me from the shelf, just haven't cracked it open in awhile. Thank you!