Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Centipede ID please

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Kimora, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Kimora

Kimora Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    5 inches

Attached Files:

2. patrick nimbs

patrick nimbs Arachnosquire Active Member

It is probably a Cormocephalus Aurantiipes if you live in Australia but if you live elsewhere, I am afraid I cannot help you.

3. Kimora

Kimora Arachnopeon

It’s an imported specimens. But from where? The last owner told me from Tasmania but he wasn’t sure -_-

4. Kimora

Kimora Arachnopeon

@Scoly any idea? Thank you.

5. Kimora

Kimora Arachnopeon

6. It's a Cormocephalus sp., but does not look like C. aurantiipes. As a side note, how did you get an Australian species out of the country?

7. Kimora

Kimora Arachnopeon

Thank you for your answer

I don’t know hihi. Someone sold it to me.

8. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron

I am pretty sure it is from Tanzania as centipedes are commonly imported from there, and someone misspelled it into Tasmania.

9. Kimora

Kimora Arachnopeon

But there is no Cormocephalus sp in Tanzania no? Hm so confused hihi

10. Scoly

Scoly Arachnobaron Active Member

I'm really not sure. One of the ways you determine Cormocephalus according to the keys is "Cephalic plate clearly overlapped by first tergite":

upload_2019-10-3_21-25-36.png

That seems to be the case for yours though we could do with a clearer photo.

Cormocephalus are found in Tasmania as was as Tanzania, and many places in between. True, you are far more likely to have animals exported from Tanzania than Tasmania, but given you have stumbled on such a rarity in the first place I don't think usual rules apply. It could have been an accidental stow-away in a suitcase from someone returning from holiday (I once got a beautiful red headed morsistans that way, from Tanzania actually)

Assuming it is Cormocephalus, it will be tricky there's a lot of species in the genus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormocephalus

And here's a link to the keys I used above (not my drive) sadly these do not cover Cormocephalus in detail:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18IBC4TZwpbdgv9FcVJx1SsBU_zQqo8ym

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.