Centipede I.D

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey

I just found a centipede today. I was out in this nice location where i've been finding Vaejovis carolinianus scorpions everyday, and stumbled apon this guy. I have no experience with Pede's in no way, so i was seeing if someone could help me I.D this guy. I live Just West of Atlanta GA.

Thanks

here's a pic

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
perhaps it is a hemiscolopendra marginata
Thanks man, after looking at pics of it, thats what it appears to be. I'll have to do some more research on them. I've been finding them like crazy.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nice

they are on the smaller side but i have seen them get a smidge north of 3" body length (not counting legs or ant's) when they stretched out straight.

they seemed to require a bit more moisture and ventilation than the Scolopendra polymorpha i normally deal with... they are more like all the giant blind centipedes i find.

a minimal size container for an adult (~2.5"BL) Hmarg is about 5-6 oz. this is a tricky size to work with, so for beginners something like a 12-16 oz screw top plastic jar is a perfect beginning container. i use pins or other sharp and thin tools to poke very small holes in my pede containers. for moister species like this i would do 3 holes in the bottom of the cage, 5 holes mid way up a side, and then 5-10 holes in the lid. they should be very small holes... too small for ants or even tiny flies to get into. next, fill it with moderately hard packed substrate until their is at least 1" of substrate but still leaving *at least* 3" of empty between the top of the substrate and the top of the container. that keeps things from getting too interesting when you open the container up to feed or whatever =P

the pede should burrow around in the substrate most of the time. Hmarg seemed moderately skittish to me... generally retreating down into the sub anytime i would open their containers up.

if your substrate has decent chunk size (i used the rough ground coconut hull's with chunks roughly the size of a spherical dime, but more irregularily shaped. i mixed it about half and half with the normal fine ground compacted/expanded coconut fiber stuff) then the pedes can even push out egg laying and brooding chambers. out of the 6-8 i kept separate i had two make eggs for me. i accidentally let them dry out cuz i was using containers with too large of vent holes that they were shipped in, though :/

actually, now that i think about it i might have used an oak leaf, large chunk, and fine ground mixture for these guys