Centipede find!!!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
For a similar species, S. hainanum, I left the babies in with mom for about a week or so after they developed colors (2 weeks after first shed, 3 months after laying). You'll know when they are ready to leave; usually the plings like to stick together so a clump will separate from mom and pile up along the side of the bucket. I suggest using a long pair of tongs or chopsticks when moving them as the mother is very protective of them and will be extremely aggressive if she feels they are threatened. I put them into individual containers for ease of feeding, but many species of centipede can live together with minimal or no cannibalism for the first juvenile instar, but after that, and they will start eating each other.

Do expect 50+ babies from this clutch, so plan accordingly. As they are native to your yard releasing most won't be a problem (as I doubt you want to have dozens of ravenous plings in the garage), though I bet people on Arachnoboards will be willing to buy them if you are willing to ship them!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Good advise above.. I wonder what shipping would be like based on where he is from though.. maybe I’ll buy some

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Good advise above.. I wonder what shipping would be like based on where he is from though.. maybe I’ll buy some
Yeah shipping might be rough. Still would be cool to have St. Lucia S. subspinipes and see how they compare to other morphs.

NYAN

Arachnoking
well, let’s see if the little devils survive and what the centipedes new parent wants to do.

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
Nice... I actually bought some super long chopsticks after work today while looking for enclosures. I also came across deli cups which i didn't think id need but it seems like ill have to get some.

Release them in my whaaat?
I will be going very far away from here to release these guys...

Wish i could sell them, shipping will be at least $50 fedex.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yeah, fedex is expensive but the buyer pays it in most scenarios. If you want to sell them I’m sure you’ll get buyers.

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
Found another one:embarrassed:

Got this one at work. Went behind the building and lifted some galvanize sheets that are on the ground. Got my bumblebee millipedes there before so i went to have a look see. Spotted this guy running for cover.....

Attachments

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
Got this guy set up in a tall glass jar as a temporary until i get some sterilite tubs. Gave him a superworm he just bit it n left it. Turned off the lights, when i came back he had already eaten half of it. I also noticed he's missing a leg. Super bummed as i think it happened while catching it.... Do they grow back?

Substrate is 3.5" peat moss/compost/ river sand...

Attachments

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Got this guy set up in a tall glass jar as a temporary until i get some sterilite tubs. Gave him a superworm he just bit it n left it. Turned off the lights, when i came back he had already eaten half of it. I also noticed he's missing a leg. Super bummed as i think it happened while catching it.... Do they grow back?

Substrate is 3.5" peat moss/compost/ river sand...
Centipedes can completely regenerate any leg and some antenna segments(depending on how the appendage was lost). Several of the ones I have grown lost legs back in captivity from when they lived in the wild. One house centipede I caught had no legs on its left side but grew all 15 back after a molt.

Your setup seems fine for now, hope this little guy is fun to have around.

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
Can anyone send me any import regulations for centipedes to the US if any?

In order for me to ship any ill need to apply for an export permit and regulations are a requirement....

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
Can anyone send me any import regulations for centipedes to the US if any?

In order for me to ship any ill need to apply for an export permit and regulations are a requirement....

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
I agree that this is S. subspinipes. The babies will be bright yellow with black stripes and a bright blue head (this or variations on this are the norm for baby subspinipes).
Babies are getting some color... Tanish/yellow body with blue legs and blue head.... Will update with more progress....

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I agree with the other people on it being a subspinipes but does anyone have any idea what subspecies it is? It looks like the coloration on it is different from my subspinipes and I would be interested to know if anyone could ID it down to the subspecies level. Beautiful centipede though! You are one very lucky guy.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Subspecies are irrelevant for subspinipes. Color is not a definitive factor. More or less 2 subspecies remain (if any..)
Scolopendra subspinipes piceoflava (which just so happens to have no color variation that we know of, it's a dark light-banded animal)
Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes (all of the other subspinipes, whether they're brown, bright red or blue-tipped, or anything really).

My subspinipes babies should soon get some color as well. The color you described is their terminal appearance. They should leave momma soon.

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
So the plings are now loose guys. Momma released them yesterday. Some are running around some are hiding. Theres a water dish in there. You guys said no food for the first week and a half.

Momma should be real hungry though. Feed her or no? I havent removed her.

Pics tonight when i get home.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
So the plings are now loose guys. Momma released them yesterday. Some are running around some are hiding. Theres a water dish in there. You guys said no food for the first week and a half.

Momma should be real hungry though. Feed her or no? I havent removed her.

Pics tonight when i get home.
Feed her, but use prekilled prey. You can give it to her through tongs or drop it in front of her; you may want to offer several prey items as she will be quite thin after a long incubation. If the babies are old enough to run and have a yellow body and blue head, they can be fed prekilled prey as well. The mother will sniff the dead prey out and eat it so you may want to start catching babies and putting all of them into one enclosure with substrate. They will be very wary of the food at first but if you rip it up they will eventually walk over it and being eating from the exposed flesh.

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
I was thinking it would be easier to transfer the mother instead but its best to put babies in a smaller enclosure thats at least clear so i can keep a better eye on them... pics coming....

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I was thinking it would be easier to transfer the mother instead but its best to put babies in a smaller enclosure thats at least clear so i can keep a better eye on them... pics coming....
Whatever works for you, but moving a big, angry mother 'pede is not fun. It is faster and easier, but do be careful.