Centipede escaped. Help!

Cell

Arachnosquire
My S. subspinipes is gone from its enclosure after I woke up half an hour ago. I honestly don't know how it escaped. Any tips where could have gone? Or how to bait it back? I can handle the situation myself, but my family members will surely panic. This is my worst morning ever..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How do you know it's out? Did you comb through the substrate?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
How long has it been since you last saw it?
How large is the centipede?
Is it night or day by you?

Check under any loose, soft items such as clothes, rugs, etc. Anyplace dark and especially moist, such as a wet towel in a nearby bathroom with the lights off, is an ideal hiding place. Elytra and Antenna (or maybe someone else) has actually mentioned placing a damp towel near possible escape routes so that the centipede is enticed to hide there. Warm places are also likely places to find it; if you have the kind of refrigerator that puts off a lot of heat, that's where a relative of mine found their escaped python.

If there are any spaces in the floorboards it's as good as gone. Same with a hole or space under any door. If you have other pets like cats or dogs, they might encounter it and alert you to it, or kill it.

Wait until it's night out, if it's not already. One it is dark, search everything it can hide under. Leave nowhere unsearched.

Please be careful; don't get bitten. Don't let anyone hurt it either. I wish you luck.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
How big was it, when did you actually see it last?, and post picks of enclosure, they are escape artists extraordinaire. Hope you locate it

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Good luck finding it dude! Keep checking the enclosure, Its easy to miss a spot!

Cell

Arachnosquire
Where is the centipede being kept?
How long has it been since you last saw it?
How large is the centipede?
Is it night or day by you?
Here are some pictures of it's enclosure.

If you can't view those links, click here, here, and here.
It also escaped last night before I sleep. Glad my nanny found it on a rampage outside my room. I got it, and closed its enclosure (yes, I intentionally left its enclosure open when that happened). Now after I woke up, he's just gone.
The seller told me that it's a juvenile S. subspinipes. Around 5 inches.
It is correctly day here in my country.
Thanks for your tips, I'll look for it after class.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
its.. no wonder its escaped, If it can get out without that lid there is no doubt it can get out with it, even if you do find it, it needs a proper enclosure ASAP, in future dont buy an animal without having a proper enclosure ready please!! o_O

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, man, I know but try to relax and calm down. And listen to me.

My female (a Scolopendra subspinipes, WC like the 99.99% of the 'pede of the trade) arrived gravid. Of course I had not a single clue of that, until one night when, for pure luck (think what if I wasn't at home) I've spotted, in the dark (when I was typing here some bull, lol) something moving in the enclosure.

At first I've said... "What? Moss moved to the air holes, now?" then I realized... pedelings all the way, jumping out from the air holes, trying to climb, coming out from the cork bark and substrate like zombies from the dirt.

I've started to catch those and I've managed to put those little fast dastards into another enclosure. A week later, more or less, I've packed and shipped 24 pedelings (one died).

Months ago that pedeling adventure (I don't have pics but believe me... all I'm saying is true) I spotted a "teen" centipede when I was out in my garden, at late night, with one of my cat. Nope, wasn't a Scolopendra cingulata but one of those pedelings (just more longer) that basically lived "with me" and near me, for a good 3/4 months, until the day he/she decided to crawl out the house.

Now lives somewhere in my garden but the point that matters is this: zero bites, zero 'aggressions', pure 100% ninja stealth skills.
I wasn't aware of nothing until that night when, again for pure luck, we (me and one of my cats) saw the bugger coming out from the door, like us lol.

At this point I have reasons to believe that only Christ knows how much S.subspinipes are living here with me (now I know those were more than 25 ah ah) but it's ok :)

What I want to tell you is that despite the brutal venom and how much defensive they can be (especially in enclosures), they tend to avoid contact with us when free to roam. Maybe the 'pede already jumped out from your house. Maybe you need to completely 'move' the hell out of furnitures etc they are masters not only of escapes but into "disappear" like Ninja.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looking at the enclosure and the story behind the previous escapes, I would say spray the house. You are clearly not set up to keep pedes. You don't have the knowledge or the track record to successfully keep them and I think it would be best for everyone if you stopped trying to. What you haven't seemed to catch on to is that these things will exploit any and every weakness they can find. They will escape if given the hint of a chance as you should have already figured out but clearly haven't. These are not something to mess around with either. One bite is enough to ruin your day, I speak from experience. If you want to have a pet that can stay in such a container without escaping, try a goldfish. If it does get out, it'll be much easier to find.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh man, you are so in deep s**t! I feel for you! Haha! Dude, go through every inch of your room and flip everything upside down and inside out 10 times! Oh man it's probably in the dry wall! Get a hammer and smash through the walls! Don't forget to check your cereals!

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh man, that thing is freaking huge if it got outta that! Jesus, is it the size of a baseball bat? I'd have a light sabre in one hand and Robocop's gun in the other.:rofl:

Last edited:

7Fin

Arachnoknight
Oh man, you are so in deep s**t! I feel for you! Haha! Dude, go through every inch of your room and flip everything upside down and inside out 10 times! Oh man it's probably in the dry wall! Get a hammer and smash through the walls! Don't forget to check your cereals!
Oh man, that thing is freaking huge if it got outta that! Jesus, is it the size of a baseball bat? I'd have a light sabre in one hand and Robocop's gun in the other.:rofl:
Most posts on this thread were given in the hope to calm the user down in this stressful situation, this kind of "sucks to be you" attitude seriously doesn't help.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let me add another thing... well, man, bit of solace you live in the Philippines. And Asian 'pedes like Scolopendra subspinipes are present, no matter, in your homeland.

No, nothing uh, not that this will help you now... just that at least you can result credible in front of the average.

Try to explain how a 'pede supposed to live only in South Eastern Asia lives into a Lombardy (lol) garden :shifty:

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most posts on this thread were given in the hope to calm the user down in this stressful situation, this kind of "sucks to be you" attitude seriously doesn't help.
Who are you the internet police?