Centipede Enclosure: Escape resistant or escape proof?

Pocco

Arachnopeon
After lots of trail and error trying to create a truly escape PROOF enclosure, I think i might have succeeded. A tiny gap in my original terrarium sliding doors made me feel really insecure about putting a large Dehaani in there. Therefor i decided to ditch the sliding doors, and cut out two front panels out of plexi glass. Unfortunately i cut off too much on the sides leaving... u gessed it... a gap. Too fix this i permanently filled the gaps on each side with tec 7. Too prevent the centipede to eat its way trough the glue, I glued aliminium strips on the inside. I now consider this tank very safe. Still i am worried that the dehaani somehow will manage to rip of the aluminum and eat trough the tec 7.
I dont know if im overthinking this. The gap was 3mm so i dont know if the centipede could get through anyway.

The top lid is not of my concern. 4 bolts, a lego lock + 2 two 1 kg weight plates. As you see in the video I pull with a great force to bend the lid, more than any centipede would manage too push. And when it bends, it dont leave any gaps for the centipede to squeeze trough.

So how would you guys rate the safety of this enclosure? :)

Links to my terrarium:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Really guys... nobody? :/
The centipede lovers section isn't a place you can get 24/7 service as this critter doesn't get as much love as the others.

Wise choice on ditching the sliding doors. I wouldn't trust them either, those or sliding lids.

My theory is, if a centipede can reach it, it will find a way.......eventually...if it's not satiated..but sometimes even those spoiled and fat pedes want an adventure.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
The centipede lovers section isn't a place you can get 24/7 service as this critter doesn't get as much love as the others.

Wise choice on ditching the sliding doors. I wouldn't trust them either, those or sliding lids.

My theory is, if a centipede can reach it, it will find a way.......eventually...if it's not satiated..but sometimes even those spoiled and fat pedes want an adventure.
Understand that now:) so u actually think that the centipede have a chance to get trough the top lid if it reach it?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Understand that now:) so u actually think that the centipede have a chance to get trough the top lid if it reach it?
Very slim chance, but a chance.

The other point of weakness is that aluminum and glue.
Slim chance again, but a chance.

I would set it up and closely observe how it acts with it's surroundings. Does it find the possible weaknesses that we see? Does it climb the corbers and reach the top? Does it seem fixated on chewing the glue/aluminum.

By the way, nice tank.
I would trust a T or scorpion in it 100% but a pede a bit less.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
Very slim chance, but a chance.

The other point of weakness is that aluminum and glue.
Slim chance again, but a chance.

I would set it up and closely observe how it acts with it's surroundings. Does it find the possible weaknesses that we see? Does it climb the corbers and reach the top? Does it seem fixated on chewing the glue/aluminum.

By the way, nice tank.
I would trust a T or scorpion in it 100% but a pede a bit less.
Thanks for the replies and great tips :) I guess ur never 100% safe with a centipede xD

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Christ :angelic:

That's why I have a Mafia deal with mine. A fat B.dubia everytime I spot him/her trying to exit. Btw I have no spotted that creepy today, after dinner I must search :shifty:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Christ :angelic:

That's why I have a Mafia deal with mine. A fat B.dubia everytime I spot him/her trying to exit. Btw I have no spotted that creepy today, after dinner I must search :shifty:
I have the same deal with mine. If I'm doing plant maintenance or picking up scraps of shredded dubia and "Snuggles" comes out to hug me I just start chucking the dubias again.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
I have the same deal with mine. If I'm doing plant maintenance or picking up scraps of shredded dubia and "Snuggles" comes out to hug me I just start chucking the dubias again.
Great way to keep him from getting to close while doing maintenance! Any suggestions what i might do too secure the enclosure better? I have superglued the aluminum strips

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great way to keep him from getting to close while doing maintenance! Any suggestions what i might do too secure the enclosure better? I have superglued the aluminum strips
I honestly don't see it getting out. There is nothing left to do but to observe the pede's behaviour and see how that tec 7/aluminum/glass/acrylic bond fares in the long run. I've never used the stuff or adhered acrylic to glass.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think that no one can give to "you" a 100% certain "proof label" approved sign for that. Personally I think that from @shining enclosure would be impossible to escape but hey, folks, check me... I use normal plastic, and so far doesn't happened.
And I, btw, completely remove the top when, with long tongs, I have to perform cleaning, which is, as you know, essential for that the carcass of roaches and a humid environment doesn't mix.

Now, my S.subspinipes jumps out and try to escape, bite me, or what else? No, at all. I stand with @Mastigoproctus when he said that, apart from everything, aren't that bad. I don't want to undermine those, uh, nor being too confident of my skill/experience with venomous (which I trust of course) but that's what happens nonetheless.

My only concern was (well still is, to an extent) of what could happen (read escape) when I'm not home for control only.

Last edited:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think that no one can give to "you" a 100% certain "proof label" approved sign for that. Personally I think that from @shining enclosure would be impossible to escape but hey, folks, check me... I use normal plastic, and so far doesn't happened.
And I, btw, completely remove the top when, with long tongs, I have to perform cleaning, which is, as you know, essential for that the carcass of roaches and a humid environment doesn't mix.

Now, my S.subspinipes jumps out and try to escape, bite me, or what else? No, at all. I stand with @Mastigoproctus when he said that, apart from everything, aren't that bad. I don't want to undermine those, uh, nor being too confident of my skill/experience with venomous (which I trust of course) but that's what happens nonetheless.

My only concern was (well still is, to an extent) of what could happen (read escape) when I'm not home for control only.
I'm pretty confident in the security of my viv.
20 gallon tall, scraped off all the sides sealant, metal screen lid with some duct tape and hotglue to fit snugly on the rim and to permanently hold some snaplock velcro (3 strips on the left and right side) in place. My S. dehaani is pushing 8" and can barely get a little over the half way point when I first introduced it. Since it's become acclimated to its home it hasn't tried a futile wall climb again. Even if the creep found its way to the lid there would be nowhere to go as it fits so snugly and I could literally lift the enclosure just by holding on to the lid, the enclosure is really heavy too, it has about two bricks of moist and packed down eco earth and one bag of Vigoro organic potting soil. There's also a piece of Plexiglass restricting too much air flow on the lid too.

20160621_104348.jpg 20160604_004152.jpg

@Chris LXXIX, good call on tagging @Mastigoproctus, he has waaaaay more experience with pedes than I do.
Also, Chris, you're crazy for keeping your pede in your enclosure after seeing it's antennas seeping through under the lid.

Oh, here's a few other members that could chime in on the marine eye inspection of your enclosure.
@Python
@Staehilomyces
@Hisserdude
@Salvador

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also, Chris, you're crazy for keeping your pede in your enclosure after seeing it's antennas seeping through under the lid.
Eh eh happened that morning when the scolopendra made an helluva of noise at six in the morning. I was watching with attention (ready for intervene of course) the scene: the centipede reached the top, and placed on the sides, profile position. With the head pushed so hard that the antennae managed to exit (not entirely, part of only) but just after the locking lid was too heavy and he/she retreated, I assume pissed off :-s

I don't know if my enclosure works, if it's a matter of pure luck or it's me playing hard with fire, but definitely I'm crazy :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Looks pretty escape proof to me, though that stuff you put in the corners will allow the centipede to climb up to the top, it still won't be able to escape through the lid. Nice enclosure man, be sure to show us what it looks like when you have it all set up for the pede! :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
However I don't know if you guys had read Charrière. Well, I've read 'Papillon', and still today the sound of centipedes (he was in French Guyana, after all) making noise like Manowar and crumbling down from the walls (or the ceiling, I don't remember now) IMO is awesome.

Christ, at least I have an enclosure :kiss:

Pocco

Arachnopeon
Looks pretty escape proof to me, though that stuff you put in the corners will allow the centipede to climb up to the top, it still won't be able to escape through the lid. Nice enclosure man, be sure to show us what it looks like when you have it all set up for the pede! :)
Thank u man. Will update when i get the dehaani :) I put some superglue as a coating on the white glue. So it became much more slippery. That way the centipede will have a harder time climbinh up.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@shining

However just for give you a better view/idea this is the enclosure (of course no drilled holes back then) I use for my S.subspinipes:

thumbnail_DSC_0597.jpg

This is the lid v :

thumbnail_DSC_0593.jpg

So far I have received different opinions (not only here) from "works" "could work" to "bit risky" to what else :)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In my opinion, there is no such thing as an escape proof enclosure, especially with pedes. My thoughts are, if I can put it in, it can get out. My experience is pretty limited but the only thing about pedes that I trust is that they will try to find every nook and cranny and they will test every weakness until they gain their freedom. I always assume with every animal that I care for that it's only a matter of time before they are breaking the sound barrier running across my floor and disappearing under the couch. Every time I open an enclosure for maintenance, I wait for the leggy explosion that means what little hair I have left is going to shortly be pulled out by the roots in exasperation.

If you're going to keep an animal that has the ability to seemingly walk through walls, expect escape at any time and understand that "escape proof" is a relative term. For people, Alcatraz was escape proof, for pedes, a hermetically sealed box is a mere inconvenience. That said, I would examine your enclosure very carefully and pay special attention to any seams, joints or junctions where parts fit together. If there is one. it's a possible breach point and I would pay very close attention to how the animal interact with it. Vent holes are also very suspect. If the vents are wire, make sure it is sturdy wire and the holes aren't too big. Keep a careful eye that they don't chew a hole through the wire. If it's slits in plastic, make sure that you can't slip a piece of paper through it. Then make sure the animal can't flatten themselves that much, then watch as they do. In short, if you think they can't, they will. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.