centipede embryos under UV

dtasrt_lk

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have not visited here in a long while.. but here is something interesting.

Many centipedes glow under UV light to some degree, especially legs/terminal legs and often antennae. Although not to such a degree as scorpions, of course. But embryos do flouresce strongly and it seems now that this is only during early stages. I did not know of the 'honeycomb' detail on the outer layer until these photos :)

Please let me know if this topic has been discussed before as I am interested to learn more.. and to know if someone has noticed this before (I hope)

(thumbnails)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I didn't know that,... that's an awsome sight !!! :clap:

thanx for sharing

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The ocelli are a-glow, as well. I wonder if that is the exterior of the ocelli that glow, interior fluids or just a reflection?

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ocelli are a-glow, as well. I wonder if that is the exterior of the ocelli that glow, interior fluids or just a reflection?
Doesn't at all look like reflection to me.
Thanks for sharing!

dtasrt_lk

Arachnopeon
Cheers! :)

yes I would imagine its the fluid inside ocelli. I hadnt really paid much attention to that but I will see if this is consistent with all my centipedes (i would assume all their ocelli will glow).

Anyway I played around with the photos a bit more and came up with this to show the detail better in black and white, like they do in scorpion taxonomy. I am wondering if the 'honeycomb' structure is rigid or just dimples. If anyone knows details of the embryonic development please speak up. I am assuming the thin slime sheet that is shed once pedelings 'hatch' remains the same throughout development. So probably that slime sheet is made of tiny patchworks woven together.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I seem to vaguely remember something about egg structure from Lewis' Biology of Centipedes, but can't say for sure and unfortunately don't have a copy.