1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Centipede dead or dormant?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by User Name, Jan 13, 2020.

1. User Name

User Name Arachnopeon

Uk
    Advertisement
    I've had a ethmostigmus rubripes spinosus (Indian blue leg) centipede for around 2 months now but haven't seen it for over 2 weeks, it used to come out when I fed it at night and if it didn't I'd leave out food and it would usually disappear overnight but this week it hasn't eaten 2 days in a row. I could also tell if it came out overnight because it would cover up one of its burrows under the water bowl but it hasn't done that in a while. Is it moulting or dead? I've wanted to completely change the substrate and tank but if its moulting that probably isn't a good idea. I've also seen a few little white bugs in the tank every now and then which is another reason I want to completely change the tank because I don't know if they're a paracidic mite I've heard of before, what are your thoughts? Thanks for any replies.

2. Nicholas Rothstein

Nicholas Rothstein Arachnoknight Active Member

If it is dead you'll smell it. I wouldn't go digging around, you could hurt it if it is molting. Maybe it is a female and is incubating eggs (just a thought, unlikely).

3. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

Parasitic mites will be found on the animal, usually in areas like joints. Their head will be against the animal (they have to bite to feed). What parasitic mites don't like to do is wander about in the substrate. Mites in the substrate are there for other reasons, so you know they're not parasitic from that behaviour alone.

If the mites are the scavenging sort, you can cut down numbers by adding springtails (who will outcompete them for food). But you're basically swapping one little white critter for another. You're always going to have little white critters of some sort or another in the tank.

4. StampFan

StampFan Arachnodemon Active Member

?

You're feeding it daily?

?

5. User Name

User Name Arachnopeon

Uk
    Should of made it clearer sorry, I mean I feed it every Saturday but this Saturday it didn't eat nor did it yesterday.

6. Bill S

Bill S Arachnoprince Old Timer

There are many, many species of mites, with a range of different behaviors. Some are parasitic at one stage of their lives but not at others. Some are predatory at one stage of their life, parasitic at another.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.