Centipede Breeding Discussion Thread

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thought I'd condense all breeding discussion down to one thread.

Here's my breeding report of S. polymorpha.

Another breeding report of S. subspinpes...not mine.

Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A couple of the better pictures of my second failed breeding attempt with S. polymorpha. I'm fairly certian they're the same gender, and I'm calling that Gender A for now since there's no way of knowing if they're male or female.

Attachments

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm planning on breeding my Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus ''Yellow legs'' this year since i have three great doing adults but i was wondering, can i breed a centipede that lacks an antenna?!?!

phil.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did they attack each other?

Kind of yes, and kind of no. One went up to the other and started investigating the rear of the other and it was promptly grabbed with the other specimen's terminators.

Unfortunately, these are the only two decent pictures I have of the process :(

As for breeding one that's missing an antennae, I wouldn't know. You could try it because they might still have some sensory abilities with whatever they have left.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's an old thread but my pics were wiped out when my old ISP died. I'll try to dig up the pics later. From what I saw, it looked like the male could use a place to crawl through to spin a web and make a "web tunnel" that the female can follow him through it. He put the spermataphore at the bottom of the web cave/tunnel.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=66702&referrerid=4911

I chose a rock that looked like it had a tunnel carved underneath.

Could you elaborate on what the male might need?

Do you think I have two seperate genders?

These are the only two breeding size centipedes of this species I have, so any attempts I make at breeding have to be carefully monitored to ensure the saftey of the specimens.

Maybe once I get more specimens, I'll take more risks but not until I can afford it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got pretty lucky. The male looked really scared at first and, of course, I wasn't sure it was a male. I'll dig up that picture of the web tunnel, it can tell you what you might need better than I can. Might take me a while though. Maybe more rocks in there would help, maybe 2 or 3 and it might work better if you overlapped them a little over the rock you already have in there so they can hide and feel safe until they can "figure out the mood". I don't know, just some ideas. When I put the two together that eventually mated, it looked like one was going to get eaten at first.

hibludij

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can a female centipede lay eggs without mating with a male, like stick insects and some other animals? cause my sisters biology teacher told her, that it is posible, when she told him that my cingulata had layed eggs.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think this has been cleared up 100% yet:confused: ...the parthenogenisis thing. I have many baby pedes from last year. I'm going to try and be patient, raise some to adult and see what happens. It's really not a lot of work so, waiting isn't really an issue. I don't need as many as I have (50+) so I think I may trim down to around 15, maybe 20. I'm trying to wait for at least one more molt.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As for me, well i've had my two colonies of adult sc.s.mutilans ( red legs and yellow legs separated ) since August and they still haven't produced anything yet... They're very well fed and kept in groups of 4 in large bins with more dark hiding spots than centipedes and i still haven't gotten anything from them. I recently noticed that three of them have blocked their hide spots with substrate... could that finally be it?!?! I'll keep you posted on those...

phil.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have four of the Vietnamese S. subspinipes. One of them is definitely a juvenile, the other three are in the 6-7" range.

How big in general do these guys need to be to be considered sexually mature. Are there things to look for other than size?

I've read that once their about 60% max length, they should be mature. But, I can't seem to find a consensus on that. Is the average full grown length around 8.5" or more like 10"?

Also read that the male might be more slender and have longer terminal legs, but I can't tell any difference in mine. I suppose those differences will be more pronounced as they grow larger? Should I wait at least another molt?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can get to this point, most of the battle is over ;)

And if you dont disturb her too much you will get this

Last edited:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you can get to this point, most of the battle is over ;)
Yes Brian, but it's everything leading up to that, that I need help with! :wall:

Did you breed her, or acquire her gravid?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have four of the Vietnamese S. subspinipes. One of them is definitely a juvenile, the other three are in the 6-7" range.

How big in general do these guys need to be to be considered sexually mature. Are there things to look for other than size?

I've read that once their about 60% max length, they should be mature. But, I can't seem to find a consensus on that. Is the average full grown length around 8.5" or more like 10"?

Also read that the male might be more slender and have longer terminal legs, but I can't tell any difference in mine. I suppose those differences will be more pronounced as they grow larger? Should I wait at least another molt?

I've heard of Scolopendra heros complex pedes dropping eggs at four inches.

I've also been told that the physical characteristics you mentioned are also not 100% reliable.

Of course, the pedes also need to be near each other in terms of size.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've also been told that the physical characteristics you mentioned are also not 100% reliable.
Yeah, I've heard that it's quite a bit less than 100%, but at least its a starting point.

Of course, the pedes also need to be near each other in terms of size.
I guess that's common sense with these little monsters!

Do all scolopendra make a sperm web? At least subspinipes does right?

I think I'll make sure they're well fed and give them a try.

hibludij

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
has anyone ever tried to put two pedes in the same enclouser and put in some kinda net thingy(with glass on top so they cant climbe over) to seperate them so they can see and smell (whatever they do with the antenas) each other but canot atack each other and then watch the reactions to figure out if they are hostile or atracted to each other?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe just a perforated divider? Sounds like a good idea.