Centipede Advice

mant01

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new on here but have kept tarantulas, scorpions and mantids for many years but never centipedes. I think they seem interesting but from what I've read very dangerous. Is this the case? are they that dangerous? The thing is I have a 5 yr old daughter and the idea of one managing to get out some how and having the potential to kill her obviously puts me off. The other thing is if they are that bad then how come you dont need a licence for one where I live yet for some scorpions you do. It just doesnt seem to make sence.. Help please!

SaintScythus

Arachnopeon
Yes they can be dangerous, and in your case it may not be the best idea to keep one as they tend to be escape artists. Specifically the Scolopendra variety tend to be expecially potent venom-wise.

I can't help you with the license but that is quite strange that you wouldn't need one. I believe the only documented death from a centipede was a small girl that was bit on the head by a full grown adult, but no medical attention was administered. If you or anyone is bit by a centipede it will not be a pleasant experience.

Don't take this advice the wrong way, I'm just saying be its better to be safe than sorry. I've never been bit as I've been extremely careful.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what kind of scorps and taras? i would say centipedes are less dangerous than a lot of the popular tara and scorp species

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a daughter that's ~18 months (Novermber 2005) and I have no qualms about my centi collection.

Just keep everything locked up relatively tight and you'll be OK.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well if your worried then id suggest a less potent specimine to keep. Definatly not a subspinipes. Maybe a polymorpha or h. marginaria (spelling) even a S. heros castaniceps which of these 3 is probably the most hurtfull lol I doubt that even a 5 year old would die from a bite from any of these unless they were particularly sensitive to the venom. Caco has been bitten by a lot of species and can tell you more about that aspect id think

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well if your worried then id suggest a less potent specimine to keep. Definatly not a subspinipes. Maybe a polymorpha or h. marginaria (spelling) even a S. heros castaniceps which of these 3 is probably the most hurtfull lol I doubt that even a 5 year old would die from a bite from any of these unless they were particularly sensitive to the venom. Caco has been bitten by a lot of species and can tell you more about that aspect id think
more and more i think my nerve endings are too dead to feel the venom pain...

but i would say subspinipes would not be a good starter species for you... ifyou find out your caging is escapable and you have a 8" fairly venomous (as far as centipedes go) animal roaming around you are probably going to spend some sleepless nights

as far as permitting... you are brit? then you need to look up DWA. basically scorpions falling in the family Buthidae require permit because that is the family with the most hot species in it. not all are hot... but enough to be a concern. buthidae family scorpions kill something like 1000+ every year in their various native lands. centipedes have barely any fatal cases in literature... and the ones that do exist in lit are few and far between and most have some kind of extenuating circumstances that make me fairly suspicious.

also, lawmakers are hardly ever very knowledgeable about animal stuff when they make laws. real hit and miss.

mant01

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice I'll think things over. The tarantulas I've had are too many to list really. I used to have over 35 different species from chileans, many different baboons, goliaths, salmon pinks, tiger rumps alsorts of different kinds and all very beautiful. I'm more a snake person really as I used to breed large constrictors and do shows for schools and things with retics and anacondas as well as scorpions and tarantulas. Maybe centipedes are something I should wait until my daughter is older before I get one. It would be a snake managing to get out and knocking its tank open really what would be my main concern, anyway thanks for your help!

mant01

Arachnopeon
Yeah I am a brit by the way and have looked into the DWA and for the centipedes I've seen for sale does not apply. Thats what I thought was strange if they can potentially kill a kid.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice I'll think things over. The tarantulas I've had are too many to list really. I used to have over 35 different species from chileans, many different baboons, goliaths, salmon pinks, tiger rumps alsorts of different kinds and all very beautiful. I'm more a snake person really as I used to breed large constrictors and do shows for schools and things with retics and anacondas as well as scorpions and tarantulas. Maybe centipedes are something I should wait until my daughter is older before I get one. It would be a snake managing to get out and knocking its tank open really what would be my main concern, anyway thanks for your help!

as long as your aren't an idiot there really is no chance of the centipede escaping. also, poeci, king baboon, heteroscodra etc are all more "dangerous" than even a subspinipes IMO

a large constrictor is WAY WAY more dangerous than a well caged centipede

if you want zero chance of escapes while you aren't looking keep your centipede in a huge plastic jug. that is what i keep centipedes and hottish scorpions in. i call them kill jugs, as the bug in them would die in a fall before the jug would break or otherwise open