Cellar spider size?

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I'm familiar with cellar spiders and have a few areas under the house. However this afternoon I discovered a huge (to me) female in the corner of my animal room. See video.

Does anyone have any experience with these regarding adult size?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Most of the ones I've seen in heavily populated spaces have been juveniles 3cm or less, but I think I remember them getting over 6cm. Wikipedia says up to 7cm for P. phalangioides.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Most of the ones I've seen in heavily populated spaces have been juveniles 3cm or less, but I think I remember them getting over 6cm. Wikipedia says up to 7cm for P. phalangioides.
This girl could be bigger. Her front legs are absolutely huge. They must be 4cm on their own.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
She looks about 7cm in the video to me, based on the ruler. I bet she's on the larger end of normal.

Cellar spiders are really big. I remember when I first found some in my bulkhead I was shocked, because the only other arachnids that big I'd seen in my area had been harvestmen.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
However, if you actually go looking in Massachusetts, you can find larger ones without too much trouble, I admit.

basin79

ArachnoGod
She looks about 7cm in the video to me, based on the ruler. I bet she's on the larger end of normal.

Cellar spiders are really big. I remember when I first found some in my bulkhead I was shocked, because the only other arachnids that big I'd seen in my area had been harvestmen.
I've only ever seen ones around 4cm before. I've got 1 in my kitchen and to be honest that's how big I thought they grew seeing them over the years in various locations. I hope she stays put as she'll have all the food she'll ever need. Plus unlike the others I get that build their webs near the floor this thoughtful lass has built on the ceiling.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Grabbing a tape measure and sizing up a few unvolunteers here, 7 CM is pretty hefty. These, large fully mature, average around 5 to 6.