Cedar as a stand.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
So I'm planning on doing some DIY stands for some herp and fish tanks. The stands will need to be made out of something strong, and relatively cheap for their size. I was thinking cedar, but I know that they have a tendency to emit possibly harmful hydrocarbons. Would it still be safe to use by my Ts, or should I use another type of wood? If so, what type of wood? I need it to hold a 55gal goldfish tank, amoung other things.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a good polyurethane coat would seal in the majority of the harmful chemicals.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I'm planning on doing some DIY stands for some herp and fish tanks. The stands will need to be made out of something strong, and relatively cheap for their size. I was thinking cedar, but I know that they have a tendency to emit possibly harmful hydrocarbons. Would it still be safe to use by my Ts, or should I use another type of wood? If so, what type of wood? I need it to hold a 55gal goldfish tank, amoung other things.
As @EulersK mentioned it can be sealed.

I believe pine is cheaper. You should just use 2x4s as the skeleton and some good plywood to fill in the rest. You could stain the plywood and seal it to make it look fancy too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just use Pine. You can stain/seal pine to make it look like oak if you wanted, or lay down an oak paneling if you will.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Seems a shame to seal cedar -- I'd go with pine also. Sounds like a rewarding project to build your own stands! :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Seems a shame to seal cedar
Every 'Hope Chest'/picture frames/rocking chairs I've ever made/help make have all been sealed (except for the 'Hope Chest' on the inside). It's pretty common way to make it really look good and makes the ceder last a long time. That being said, I'd try a different wood for a stand. IMO save the ceder for something else.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I meant a shame to block the scent -- I used to lightly sand the inside my hope chest just to restore the scent. I thought they didn't recommend cedar around Ts anyway, why seal it to make it safe with so many other wood alternatives. Whatever OP decides -- I am sure it will be fabulous.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I agree, I wouldn't use it around tarantulas either.